• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Building A Site That Provides Benefit To A 3Rd Party Site?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jonnymm

Jonnymm

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Hello everyone!

Been following the site for a while now and found pretty useful so firstly thank you very much for all the information provided. Basically have two seperate questions here (I'm a slight newbie to SEO tactics here). Firstly is that I have just finished a college course and now we have a gallery show coming up and I have suggested to make a site for the show, displaying everyones work with links to their sites/contact details etc. (the site would be in the form of a Wordpress themed site). At the moment I'm also planning to redo my own site and thinking of any tactics I could do that wouldn't be blackhat to helping my own site (part of the reason why I've offered to make the site for free). Apart from an "About Page" with a "site made by (link)", I'm wondering if there's anything else I could do code wise?

The other question I was going to ask (which I don't know whether it would be completely wrong or not) is that I was thinking of purchasing domains such as www.london-keyword1-keyword2.com with meta details included to the site and to 301 redirect the site to my normal www? Would this have any benefit at all? Or is seen as destructive to my normal site's SEO ranking?

Thanks a million in advance for your help!

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,632 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Welcome to HR :hi:

If you redirect to your site from a site that's already built up some authority and links, then you might get a little boost out of it, but if you're buying a domain name without any history, redirecting from it can't help you.

And if you're thinking you'll get some benefit just from the keywords in the domain name, that's unlikely too. Exact match domains, as they're called, have been abused enough that their presence raises a red flag to the search engines. Just having an EMD isn't necessarily a problem, but having one without valuable content is pretty deadly. You're just giving them another item to check off on the "is this a spammy site" checklist.

And anyway, that won't matter if you're redirecting it. If there's any benefit from having an EMD, it vanishes when you send the signal that the site is gone and has been moved elsewhere, which is what the redirect would do.

Regarding what you can do to help your own site with the show site, assuming you're in the show yourself, I think the link to your site from the page showing your work is going to help you more than anything else. 

Edited by qwerty, 14 January 2013 - 04:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!