• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Ranking Very High For Search Phrases But Not Receiving Hits

Best Answer Alan Perkins , 14 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

You are taking the Exact match results too literally if you think they are exactly the numbers that correlate to your target market within the timescales you're considering.  It's likely to be quite different from 50, and could be less, making your CTR higher.  Also many of those searches could be from the same person or "entity" checking results on different days, on different platforms etc.  At the level of 22 per month, you're really not dealing with enough data to be significant.  Your results sound OK to me, but you should be working with bigger amounts of data to make the effort worthwhile.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TextRepublic

TextRepublic

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Hi,

I've been studying SEO for a couple of years now and have digsted lots of helpful advice and articles from the website. Despite learning an awful lot about SEO I still cannot get my head around the following... any advice or explanation would be greatly appreciated.

I have been targetting several keyword phrases such as 'text marketing', 'sms marketing', 'bulk text' and 'group texting'. I am ranking 1st, 2nd, 4th and 4th for each of those search phrases respectively and have been for a few months now. However I am receiving no hits on my website from those phrases.

i know what alot of you are going to say "Theres no real thing as 'a Google rank' anymore.". I realise this and realise that ranks can be different depending on what machine you are using, who you are connected to on social networks, whether you are logged into GMail and lots of local search re;lated issues. 

That said I have checked my ranks for those searches on lots of different machines and even walked into random internet cafes to check my ranks on machines that should have no connection to me what so ever. In addition to that both Hubspot and SEOMOZ agree that these are my rankings for these key words.

According to Google there are about 2200 local monthly searches for these 4 keyword phrases and about 14o for 'text marketing' for which my website is number one. Another explanation which I am sure people will suggest is that my meta tags are not good enough but I have reviewed these and they are as good and as right as any of my competitors and written with the human searcher in mind.

None of the potential explanations for my problem would lead my to believe that all 2200 searches month are ignoring my website when it turns up on the SERPs. The only actual explanation that I can come up with that would explain this is that Google are not reporting their searches accurately.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Conor

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

My guess is that you're not looking at exact match in the keyword tool. Those phrases likely get substantially fewer searches than you think if you have it on broad match.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,616 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

What does Webmaster Tools tell you about impressions, clickthroughs and average rankings? I'm not suggesting it's particularly accurate, but it might tell you something.

#4 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Excluding branded keywords, what keyword is delivering most traffic to your site?

#5 TextRepublic

TextRepublic

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:24 AM

Hi Jill,

Well that helped I never even noticed the 'Broad' and 'Exact' match before. It has certainly brought down the numbers significantly but for something like 'text marketing' there are still 22 a months which works out at about 50 since I started ranking at number one and yet I have only received 4 click-throughs from that key-phrase and one in ten still doesn't stack up for me. It's hard to imagine anyone searching for that phrase and not being interested in our services especially considering the very enticing offer we have within the meta description.

To answer your question Alan the phrase I am getting the most hits from that are not some variation of our business name would be 'SMS advertising' but even at that its only 5 from about 2.5 months.

All help is greatly appreciated guys.

#6 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:24 AM   Best Answer

You are taking the Exact match results too literally if you think they are exactly the numbers that correlate to your target market within the timescales you're considering.  It's likely to be quite different from 50, and could be less, making your CTR higher.  Also many of those searches could be from the same person or "entity" checking results on different days, on different platforms etc.  At the level of 22 per month, you're really not dealing with enough data to be significant.  Your results sound OK to me, but you should be working with bigger amounts of data to make the effort worthwhile.

• Jill likes this

#7 TextRepublic

TextRepublic

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

So basically what you are saying is that actual real life searches for these phrases are smaller still as certain factors such as people searching for them to check on rankings (something I would do myself obviously) is having a large effect.

What I;m beginning to realise is that I;m quite good at targetting keywords and key phrases and getting high rankings for these but pretty awful at actually understanding what my target audience is looking for!

Thank you again for your help it is greatly appreciated.

#8 imexperttools

imexperttools

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

From my experience working with Google Adwords, doing keyword analysis and ranking my website. I would say that the general traffic that you get from an exact keyword is just around 10% - 30% depending various factors. The numbers from Google Adwords were greatly inflated in order to encourage people to use their service so you should not put too much trust in it.

Recently, i have even started to doubt about the accurate of the data from Google Webmaster tool and Google Analytics.

#9 bernardo78

bernardo78

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

From my experience working with Google Adwords, doing keyword analysis and ranking my website. I would say that the general traffic that you get from an exact keyword is just around 10% - 30% depending various factors. The numbers from Google Adwords were greatly inflated in order to encourage people to use their service so you should not put too much trust in it.

Recently, i have even started to doubt about the accurate of the data from Google Webmaster tool and Google Analytics.

I am coming to the same conclusions about Adwords. Their keyword research tool is the one I use most to determine how I word titles and pages. After a while I began to wonder if what i saw was accurate at all. I've heard other people say they don't put too much trust in it either. Do you have any other tools you recommend using for keyword research?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!