• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Ppc - Does It Help Rankings?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

Hi,

My employer having started to get hit by the latest updates is now considering using PPC. They believe that every time they have run PPC for other companies they managed, their organic listings have increased.

Now I was always under the impression from HR that this is BS and PPC cannot and does not affect organic listings, however, as it is clear G! has started to move away from organic listings and now provide crap in them and penalise good sites for no reason, I was wondering if this has now changed?

Does PPC help with higher rankings and does it have a positive affect on your site in somehow confirming its legitimacy and quality in Google's eyes (Algo)

It's odd that we are one of only a handfull of companies that provide the services we do and now crappy blog sites are starting to out rank us for services they don't even provide nor have authorisation from the UK governing bodies to do so.

If I'm looking to buy some shoes I don't want some crappy splog site going on about the history of shoes with a load of affiliate links and adsense to yet more sploggy sites.

Is PPC the only way forward?

Thanks,

1DMF

#2 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:40 AM

They believe that every time they have run PPC for other companies they managed, their organic listings have increased.

correlation.png

#3 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

Are those stick men meant to imply the situation regarding PPC suposedly hasn't changed even though the environment is not the same?

#4 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

The stick men say "Correlation does not imply causation", i.e. just because "they believe that every time they have run PPC for other companies they managed, their organic listings have increased", even if it's true (got evidence?), it doesn't mean that the PPC resulted in increased organic listings.

More likely, if there was a correlation, the very fact they were working on the the marketing, the targeting, the landing pages, etc etc increased organic listings.  When you're spending money on every click, it tends to result in focus.

#5 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

OK, thanks, I have passed your comments on.

Obvoiusly I am merley receiving hear say as I wasn't involved in any of these campaigns nor have access to any analytics regarding the campaigns.

#6 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

My feeling is to use a seperate site for your adwords PPC.

Because if your ad and site gets manually reviewed and the A-hole G reviewer doesn't like something about your organic site your running ads for, they can whack your site to oblivion, so you could potentially lose any existing organic rankings you have...which would suck.

In other words, my feeling is to use a seperate website or your just peeing in the wind ...so to speak.

That's my theory and it is only a theory.

Edited by SelfMade, 11 January 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#7 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

Well I know that you are meant to have targeted landing pages for PPC, but then again, is that old hat?

Surely with the latest Panda / Penguine updates the fact you have an advert for a keyphrase, pointing to a page with that keyphrase on it, with a title containing the term and content including headings also mentioning that term will now go against you?

I thought it was considered correct marketing to have an advert containing the phrase searched, with a landing page containing the searched phrase, with a clear heading, title, description containing the term searched with a clear call to action with the term searched.

How does Google now beleive if I search a term, click a link and go to a page that doesn't even mention the words I searched that that is going to convert via a required call to action.

If I get a page that doesn't have the words I searched, I leave, because clearly it isn't relevant to what I was searching for!

Edited by 1dmf, 11 January 2013 - 08:04 AM.

#8 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

well,

I was thinking more along the lines of your Backlink profile.

It only takes one single link that the reviewer doesn't like and they could slap you.

Not saying you've got any suspect links (I've got a ton) but, my guess is, if your pointing ads to your site, it's an open invitation for them to inspect you.

That's my feeling, that's just the way I'd look at it.

I would never do it for my own organic site, because there is no way I want a Google HUMAN employee to see my links, if they went that far or anything else.

I buy a LOT of Ads, I spend a ton running them to my affiliate sites, but they are always clean brand new sites.

Maybe I'm paranoid. But if I had any good rankings, I wouldn't want to risk it by pointing adwords ads at it, knowing full well how anal Adwords are.

But then again, I'm an affiliate marketer, and we are cretinous in the eyes of G by default :D

Edited by SelfMade, 11 January 2013 - 08:10 AM.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

Maybe I'm paranoid. But if I had any good rankings, I wouldn't want to risk it by pointing adwords ads at it, knowing full well how anal Adwords are.

That is a new one for silliest thing I've heard yet. 

#10 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

you should use that as one of your newletter articles..

Silliest things you've heard in SEO :weird:

Edited by 1dmf, 11 January 2013 - 09:33 AM.

#11 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

My feeling is to use a seperate site for your Adwords PPC.

That may be OK in specific circumstances, but generally it's a terrible idea.  Scenario:

• You PPC your site
  • Someone clicks on your ad
  • They like your landing page
  • They link to it/tweet it/like it etc.

If that's not the site you're SEOing, then those links and mentions have gone to waste.

#12 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

That is a new one for silliest thing I've heard yet. 

So are you saying that if an adwords ad gets manually reviewed and you have a whole bunch of bad sitres linking to you or adwords don't like your linking strategy, are you saying there is zero risk of them sandboxing you, having just been manually reviewd by a G employee?

I wouldn't say that is a million miles away from reality.

Edited by SelfMade, 11 January 2013 - 09:35 AM.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Do you really think it would take an Adwords reviewer to see that your spamming? Google doesn't need them, they figure it out automatically and algorithmically.

Here's a thought...

How about you don't try to trick Google and just make your site be the best it can be? Then you won't have to worry about shit like that.

#14 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

backlinking is not trying to trick google.

I can't help it if some a-hole blackhatter wants to link to me.

That's why I think it could be a bad idea for 1dmf to link his already ranked site to Adwords ads.

That's what i'm trying to say...

Do you really think it would take an Adwords reviewer to see that your spamming? Google doesn't need them, they figure it out automatically and algorithmically.

imo, that would take longer than if you were to dangle your site under The G employee's nose.

#15 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

backlinking is not trying to trick google.

Then you have nothing to worry about. Google Adwords reviewers aren't going to give a crap if some ahole linked to your site. They have more important things to pay attention to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!