• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Seo And Dividing Part Of Website (E-Shop, Forum And Website Itself)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rafnews

rafnews

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Hi,

i'm facing an interesting challenge redeveloping a website that includes the website itself, a forum and an e-shop.
Basically i was thinking to develop those parts into 3 phases and thus to be independent of each other.

so the website itself will be stored under main domain (ex: www.example.com), while forums will be stored under a subdomain (forums.example.com) and e-shop as another subdomain (eshop.example.com)

i would like to know if this is a problem for a good SEO?
or is it much more better to have everything under 1 "roof" www.example.com (main site), www.example.com/forums (forums) and www.example.com/eshop (eshop) ?

Please detail your answer in order to help me to understand.
thx a lot.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,101 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

i would like to know if this is a problem for a good SEO?

Probably not, but are you a good SEO?

However:

One site.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

It's all the same to the search engines. 

#4 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Subfolders as opposed to subdomains is a simpler route in general.

#5 rafnews

rafnews

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

Subfolders as opposed to subdomains is a simpler route in general.

but AFAIK if we have:
main website stored in /public_html directory (www.example.com)
forums web part stored in /public_html/_sub/forums (forums.example.com) >> subdomain but also a subdirectory of website root
eshop web part stored in /public_html/_sub/eshop (eshop.example.com) >> subdomain but also a subdirectory of website root

so in this case it is the worst solution ?
because this is how works my webhosting provider :(
thx

So if it's the same for search engine, where is the difference ?
why do people tell it's better to have everything under the same roof ?
why subdomains are not "liked" ?

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

So if it's the same for search engine, where is the difference ?
why do people tell it's better to have everything under the same roof ?
why subdomains are not "liked" ? 

It is under the same roof. The people who tell you otherwise don't know what they're talking about n

#7 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

My company's website is in several pieces, just as you describe. Some of them are in subdomains, some are actually on completely separate domains. However, no matter what the URL might be for any individual page, they are all treated as though they're part of a single website.

A "site" is defined by using consistent visual design and integrated navigation, not by the URLs of the pages involved. I could create a single website where every individual page was on its own domain if I wanted to. (It would be totally weird to do that, and darned awkward to administer besides, but it could be done.)

As long as you treat the pages as though they belong to a single site (designing and linking them accordingly), it shouldn't make any difference from an SEO perspective what their domain is or whether they're physically all in the same folder or not on the web server. At least, we haven't had any problems with it -- and I figure if I can pull it off, so can others.

Often people have difficulty visualizing how to handle a multiple-domain website, which I believe is probably why the general advice is to house everything under a single domain. But if you can wrap your brain around the concept, in my personal experience, there's no reason why you HAVE to have everything on one domain.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

#8 rafnews

rafnews

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

I had the same understanding...that's why i was thinking to separate forums from eshop, from website... mainly is for maintenance and upgrade purposes. If we need to upgrade forums, we do not need to disable website and eshop...only the link from eshop and from website to forums... once forums are upgraded, we could reactivated those links to forums and everything should be ok...

another example, it's if we need to change the complete eshop CMS...design could be the same but instead of joomla we could have drupal or magento...
if everything is belonging to 1 system = under 1 roof... it would be hard to do it and to get the best of each system.

from what i understood a good SEO is based on content and links (and other things)...but not on systems, subdomains or subfolders...

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,101 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

from what i understood a good SEO is based on content and links (and other things)...but not on systems, subdomains or subfolders...

Not 'a' good SEO as that implies an individual, but good SEO as in the process, is actually about making the site great for USERS, which means making everything 'flow' in logical steps and a  straightforward manner. Even jumping from subdomains to a different parent URLs back to the "main domain" in subdirectories is not a problem PROVIDED that the transitions do NOT interrupt the flow of the visitors. So don't spawn new windows just because you are going from domain 'A' to domain 'B', as Torka said integrate them all into one navigational structure so that people and search engines have a reference base for the commonality of the documents they are visiting and viewing.

To a search engine a website is a collection of individual URLs linked in a common navigational structure, NOT necessarily on a single parent hostname.

#10 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Just to be clear, I was talking site administration, not SEO. One hat when doable is always my choice

#11 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

Sounds as though you're on the right track with this (and I agree about the administration -- being able to pick "best of breed" and to work on one part of the site without affecting the rest is really helpful).

--Torka :propeller:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!