• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Ppi

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#31 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,878 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 09:58 AM

Welcome, Greystar! :lmao:

Glad you like the forum. And yep, we do have a directory category.

;)

Jill

#32 websage

websage

WebSage

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 10:06 AM

I recall reading months ago an article "Search Engine Submissions Made Easy" on SearchEngineGuide, which explains the benefits of PI and preparing a sample budget for 3 URLs. Are the benefits listed in the article not valid anymore? If things have changed, which ones of the PI programs would you view as must have and which ones as not so important?

Thanks,
Mitko

#33 awall19

awall19

Peanut Butter Lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 07:42 PM

If I had to pick one Paid Inclusion program to use it would be that from Inktomi. Currenty it powers MSN. By the time this relationship is ended Yahoo will have already added Inktomi Paid listing results into their search product.

Through either chanel that is a extremely large portion of the overall internet search traffic. Either of those avenues is one of the top 4 search and traffic properties.

In addition to the above fact, Inktomi is one of the larger indexes on the web. If you list well in Inktomi and then get solid incoming links, you will usually list well elsewhere.

Ask Jeeves uses a clustering search engine which would take longer to see the results in. AltaVista and AllTheWeb do not draw much traffic relative to MSN or Yahoo.

#34 Greystar

Greystar

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 10:39 AM

I recall reading months ago an article "Search Engine Submissions Made Easy" on SearchEngineGuide, which explains the benefits of PI and preparing a sample budget for 3 URLs. Are the benefits listed in the article not valid anymore? If things have changed, which ones of the PI programs would you view as must have and which ones as not so important?

Thanks,
Mitko

I hadn't read the article but it pretty much sums up the state of play.

Ink is certainly the best value for money out of all the PI (IMO), but if you are dealing with a big site that gets loads of traffic, then the others are worth doing, for the 50 cents a day they cost...

#35 K.S. Katz

K.S. Katz

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 11:59 AM

Another good use of PFI is for pages that change regularly. For clients that have press releases and/or content that is being updated more than 1 time a month, I use PFIs.

Just my 2 cents :)

K.S. Katz

#36 stevetall

stevetall

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2003 - 05:15 AM

Hi everyone,

I have just noticed in one of my reports that there has been a huge drop off in the positions of one of my clients. There were a bunch of URLs in the PI programme, but now a lot of them have expired, and with them have gone their rankings, as well as the rankings of other pages that were included without having been submitted.

So it sounds like once you've started... you can't stop! Or does someone have experience of if/when non-PI pages would get reincluded in their index?

steve

#37 MakeMeTop

MakeMeTop

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 06:05 AM

As this has never happened to me (I have loads of URLs where PFI has expired and they are still in the natural DB) for any length of time, it is hard to comment on your situation.

There are a lot of variables involved. The site may just have been dropped through a technical reason, it may have triggered a spam filter, it may have dropped in rankings through new spidering or it may be in the in-between phase where PFI pages disappear and the latest update hasn't put back the natural listings. However, this should not effect your pages that were already in naturally.

If you are in the in-between phase, then expect anything up to 8 weeks before your pages reappear.

#38 stevetall

stevetall

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 08:26 AM

thanks for your thoughts!
cheers,
steve

#39 Greystar

Greystar

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 08:43 AM

So it sounds like once you've started... you can't stop!  Or does someone have experience of  if/when non-PI pages would get reincluded in their index?

I've had this before..

As MMT has mentioned, it can take a few weeks for the non PFI results to drop back in, although I'd be tempted to simply resbmit your pages - as the loss of delay should outweigh the cost of submission, especially if it's an importaint client.

I love the "noticed a problem before you did and fixed it for you" phone calls, as it shows your client you are actually on top of managing their account, rather than waiting for them to call in...

#40 AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 12:00 AM

Hi everyone,

I have just noticed in one of my reports that there has been a huge drop off in the positions of one of my clients.  There were a bunch of URLs in the PI programme, but now a lot of them have expired, and with them have gone their rankings, as well as the rankings of other pages that were included without having been submitted. 

So it sounds like once you've started... you can't stop!  Or does someone have experience of  if/when non-PI pages would get reincluded in their index? 

steve

There is also the factor that the competitors optimized at the same time and just got a few steps on your pages. It's like a battle under the boards, some times the ball just drops closer to your opponent. That's why it is a never ending job.
Welcome to the dance!

#41 JamesW

JamesW

One who makes no mistakes, never makes anything

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 06:30 AM

Hey,

Would you go as as far as to say that PFI is only *really* worth the money if your actual pages' content changes regularly?

If you're actually adding to an existing set of pages, then can PFI really help you?

Cheers,

James

#42 stevetall

stevetall

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 06:33 AM

Yes, PFI can help you if your content changes regularly, OR if you need to get your content indexed quickly - clients almost always want to see results fast!

#43 Searchaware

Searchaware

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 06:37 AM

James

I would say for individual pages that you absolutely want to have in the index it is well worth the money. With Inktomi the ability to edit content and see the updated ranking within days is well worth it, IMHO.

Simon

#44 Mel

Mel

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 07:40 AM

If we are soon going to start seeing Inktomi results on Yahoo, the equation is due to change dramatically.

Imagine being able to put up short term offers, or see the results of your last SEO imporvrments in 48 hours when you are talking about these covering over 40% of the total search market.

#45 BrianR

BrianR

Is it just me, or is it getting cooler in the evenings...?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 06:12 PM

So, let me get this right: If I use PFI to get a sitemap page listed in Inktomi, are you saying that it will not crawl the links on that page and index the pages they point to??

BrianR

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!