• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Change Target Country In Gwt

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Santosh

Santosh

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

I am working on a website since six months,several keywords  are on top and target country is India.Now clients asked me to change the target country to UK. what would be the pitfalls?am i going to loose keyword rank completely?

#2 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

What's the top level domain of the site?  e.g. is it a .com, a .uk or a .in?

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,627 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

Can you give us some more information on the subject-matter of the site and why and how the targeted country has changed? Was the site originally created for Indians, but the client decided instead to target the South Asian community in the UK?

And is this change going to require (in your opinion or the client's) any changes to the content?

#4 Santosh

Santosh

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

@Alan Perkins-Top Level Domain is .com .

#5 Santosh

Santosh

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

@qwerty-According to client Indian market is not giving enough revenue so client asked me to change the target country .Yes this site originally created for Indians.Need to change whole site's content in my opinion because at present location is India in every web page.

#6 Santosh

Santosh

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

Will i get any benefit from the inbound link that i acquired earlier? or I have to start from scratch?

#7 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

Why did you set the target country to India originally?  Presumably because that's where the primary target market is for this web site.

Now you want to target the UK as well - note, not instead, but as well.  Two ways of doing this:

1) Set up a new site to target the UK

2) Add UK content to the current site

Option 1 is clean and simple and doesn't require you to make any changes to the current site.

Option 2 is more messy but, long term, may be the better option.  In this case you should remove the country targeting completely in Webmaster tools, so that the site is then targeting the whole world.

#8 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,627 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

Whichever of Alan's recommendations you use, you'll probably find it helpful to make use of the hreflang tag. You'll likely find that even if you're creating different pages to target different audiences in the same language, some of those pages will to some extent (possibly a great extent) be the same.

You can both avoid duplicate content issues and help search engines return the right pages for the right audience by specifying with a set of meta tags or entries in your XML sitemap that a given page is in English for an audience in the UK and another page is in English for an audience in India.

See http://support.googl...n&answer=189077 for Google's recommendations for the use of the tag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!