• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Purchasing Website Recently Penalised

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ClickClick

ClickClick

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:59 AM

Hi

There is one particular website that I am looking to purchase that is extremely well established (it has been running since the late nineties), but seems to have been quite dramatically affected by one of the recent Google updates. It remained listed very well in Google for many years (I have been observing the site for around 8 years) and it is only very recently that a Google update seems to have penalised the site as it has lost, or moved down for, lots of its important listings.

My question is, if a website has recently been affected by a Google update negatively, would it be more difficult to build back in the future, or would it simply be a case of sorting the site's problems out and starting to build it again from the point it is at now (it is still listed pretty well). So what I am asking is will Google flag sites that have been penalised, so that it is more difficult to re-build them in the future.

I think that the loss of rankings might have been something to do with the fact that the main keyword is in the URL (I know that Google stopped taking this into consideration for listings recently), but also because the site is very old-fashioned and I don't believe it has had much unique content written in years.

Thank you, hope somebody can help.

#2 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

If the ownership changes hands, then you have a real shot at getting things sorted out. You are going to have to do all the usual things, such as looking at the link footprint, cleaning up any bad stuff, the same with the on page thing. Once that is done, write a genuine reconsideration request, explain that you are the new owner, provide proof (as in domain name change of ownership etc) and you will stand a chance.

#3 ClickClick

ClickClick

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Lovely, thank you!

Could you tell me how do I look at the link footprint, and where I go to write a reconsideration request?

#4 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

The only list of links that matters for a google hit is the list from webmatertools. Download that, then clean it up. You file a reconsideration request again within WMT. I would recommend you try to get links removed first and dont just file a disavow request on everything as that is plain lazy and won't help your cause. Check each link and make a note on the spreadsheet. If you can get it removed then do it, and make a note of that fact. Send emails requesting links be removed, and note that also. Once you have done all you can with regard rogue links, then you will need to file a disavow request. leave it a few days, and then file the reconsideration request. laying out the history of the site, and your actions since taking it over. Upload the information to a google docs file, and share it with the reconsideration request. be completely honest here, tell it like it is, and if you get a half decent reviewer you might be in with a chance of success.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!