• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Not Sure If This Qualifies As Dupe. Content Or Not

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kslnor

kslnor

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

I recently switched my static site over to Wordpress, mainly for ease of adding content.  

I have been trying to get a full grasp on duplicate content and have a few questions (Read through HR's blog post SEO and Duplicate Content Issues That Hurt Google Rankings):

1) When looking at my Google Webmaster Tools, HTML improvements, I see a few pages indicated as having duplicate title tags.  example: mysite.com/blogpost/  and mysite.com/blogost.shtml.  The first url in my example is a post in my new Wordpress blog.  The second one is a page from my old, static site that is no longer on my server.  I 301'd that old page to my new page.  Will Google eventually realize the second url does not exist and soon quit showing it as a duplicate title tag ?

2) I did a Google search for a random snippet from one of my articles (from new blog), and came up with the following results:

a.  mysite.com/blogpost/  (this is the actual post)

b.  mysite.com/blogpost1/  (this was the post that I wrote then trashed, then re-wrote (as example a.)

c.  mysite.com/category/categoryname/

d.  mysite.com/author/admin/

Are all these actually dupe. content ?  I use an SEO plugin (well known) and followed their suggestions as far as indicating certain aspects to be no follow, no index, etc.  Perhaps, because I utilized the SEO plugin a week after the blog posts were published it is just a timing thing ???

Any answers or suggestions welcome.  Thank you.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,210 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Will Google eventually realize the second url does not exist and soon quit showing it as a duplicate title tag ?

Yes. As long as there is a proper 301 redirect in place.

a.  mysite.com/blogpost/  (this is the actual post)
     b.  mysite.com/blogpost1/  (this was the post that I wrote then trashed, then re-wrote (as example a.)
     c.  mysite.com/category/categoryname/
     d.  mysite.com/author/admin/
Are all these actually dupe. content ?

They are, but not necessarily something you need to worry about. If your plug-in puts in an automated 301 redirect then again, it's just a matter of time.

But even if not, if you're just seeing a few little things like the above, it's nothing to worry about. All sites have some dupe content as its inevitable.  Most of it isn't a problem, it's only if it gets out of hand and you have tons of it that you need to be concerned.

• Collin likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!