• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Seo And Duplicate Content Issues That Hurt Google Traffic

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

As part of my SEO for 2013 and beyond series, I promised to provide more in-depth information about the 'SEO killers' I mentioned last time. Today I'm delving into duplicate content as it relates to SEO.

View the full article

#2 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

Jill,

Thanks for this article. One particular point caught my attention.

You suggested looking under "HTML Improvements" in Google Webmaster Tools. On your advice, I did so. I noticed that two pairs of pages were showing with duplicate meta descriptions, which surprised me, because I've always carefully hand-written every description myself. On a closer look, I saw that the two offending pages were test pages. I had uploaded these over a year ago, to test various colours and styles, and forgotten about them.

The interesting thing is that I never created any links to these test pages anywhere, nor did I give the URLs to anyone. And yet, they are showing up in Google's index. When I searched for a snippet of text, both the "real" page and the test version showed up.

I've now deleted the test pages. I don't suppose their presence harmed the site's rankings at all, but I didn't like the idea of a visitor stumbling across them, and anyway I like to keep things tidy.

So, thanks for drawing my attention to the "HTML Improvements" tool. It's one of the many features of GWM that I never got round to exporing.

Mike

• Jill and torka like this

#3 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Something I picked up a long time ago was that google somehow managed to pick up pages on a server. The only thing I could find was the possibility that Google was in fact crawling server logs to find urls, as part of their URL discovery method.

#4 jayorban

jayorban

Not Ranked

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:33 AM

There is an easy fix for this write 100% unique content yourself before you post it to your blog, or website problem solved.

There a lot of duplicate content checker tools that are out there for free that people can use to check for it also.

Good article I always check for dulicate content if I am publishing a guest blog post ( I dont trust everybody:) ) If i write the content myself which I usually do 9 times out of ten then I do not worry about it.

But a lot of people new to seo do not know about the repurcussions of duplicate content when it comes to seo so your blog post comes in very handy.

Nice write up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!