• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Moved Site To New Server - Duplicate Content?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BadLuckChuck

BadLuckChuck

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

I recently changed my company name and moved all of my files from my old server to a new server. All of the files are exactly the same, I just moved them all to a new server when I changed my company name. I redirected all of my files that are still on my old server to the new site, using 301. 

I was preparing to submit my new website to search engines but was wondering...since my old site is currently in the search engines, should I submit my new site that has the same exact files (same text, data, etc) as the old site, or would that product duplicate content at this time? Should I go ahead and submit the new site (domain) or should I give the search engines time to realize that my old site has been redirected to the new one? Or since my old site is still alive (just redirected) do I even need to submit my new site?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,862 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

Hi Chuck,

Submitting to search engines is an outdated and unnecessary thing to ever do anymore.

If you 301 redirected the old site to the new, the old one is not alive. If it is, then it's not redirecting properly.  

If it is redirecting properly (with a proper 301 http header response) then all you should do is set up a new Google Webmaster Tools account for the new website as well. 

You could also do a change of address on your old webmaster tools account as well. (Although you may have had to do that before you did the redirect.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!