• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Contemporary (Late 2012) And Relevant Directories

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

With the word out that many free directories are losing value, what is the current word in the SEO world with directories? Which if any are still of value and make the kudos list?

How about niche directories? If yeah, then how do you go about identifying relevant good ones? Googling "list of niche directories" reveals a lot of 'stuff'.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,871 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

Which if any are still of value and make the kudos list?

None of them.

Directories haven't really be SEO since ... .... well since 1993.

Up until about 1999 directories were pretty much the only way the relatively few Internet users could find what they wanted from the also relatively few websites.

The "value" of directories with relation to search engines is pretty much limited to getting crawling started, and there are better ways of doing that.

When was the last time you used a directory to find anything?

#3 CyberMonkey

CyberMonkey

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

What about the directories that create inbound links for your site. Are they any good?

I see many of my competitors with many inbound links compared to me but they are all either:

Directories
Places where you post articles
Places with a post or artilce where you leave a comment with your link
and places that I am sure are link spamming sites

I sometimes get an email from someone that wants to advertise on my site but I usually ignore them.

Really where could I go to get good quality inbound links?
And how do I figure out if a site is worth getting an inbound link form?

or does it even matter?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

Any link you can get all by yourself is likely not counted for much these days.

#5 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

Okay so we're closing the gap and here's a suggestion. You have a pinned topic on [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?showforum=21]Submitting to Directories[/url]. Maybe it could be updated so that it reflects the current state of affairs. Oops...

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

You're right. I've unpinned that and the other one there. Thought I had already unpinned old topics here awhile back, but must have missed those ones.

#7 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Thanks.

I think Miyagi said to Daniel-san something like,

"The answer is only good if you ask the right question."

In contemporary terms, if you're searching for the answer you want you're bound to find it if you dig deep enough. Anything you read on the internet is true, right? I've been doing a ton of reading posts, various sources, viewing Matt Cutts videos, just ordinary absorption. In spite of what you just said there are probably hundreds of 2012 posts which still talk to the value of [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?showforum=21]Submitting to Directories[/url] and other link-building practices. The MC vids are generally in line with what you say but some of these other 'authority' sites.... there seems to be some serious lack of consensus.

I have an aggressive spam filter on my email. It traps almost all the SEO and prescription spam that comes from south Florida. :) About 2 months back I started releasing the SEO stuff and storing it in a folder. Occasionally I scan before filing to see what's on the current list of the SEO plan. And all this for only $99.95. Much of it still talks to directories and article marketing.

Edited by bobmeetin, 01 December 2012 - 01:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!