• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Attracting Links To Increase Ranking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 sunnyp81

sunnyp81

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

Hi all,

Newbie here. It is said that the best method of link building is to create great content and people will link to you. For certain industries and niches this is fine, but not for all.

For example when trying to rank a plaumbers website locally is tough due to the competition. So you would need backlinks pointing to it. Yes you can create some good general content around the subject, but how much content is there about plumbing!?

Im just using that as an example, same would go for removal companies, electricians etc. There is a limit to how much content one could write on certain subjects.

In this case, how would one form a link building plan?

Thanks

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,729 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

Knowing how to do such things is the difference between being areal optimiser/marketer and the also ran "wannabee" "experts.

Start your reading at the [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url] and then move on to the copywriting articles.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,886 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

Forget about link building as that is just spam. Instead, think about how that plumber can set himself apart from the others in the area by the extra information on his website. If he's got all the "how to fix a toilet" videos his competition (or do it your selfers) may start linking to him.

But better than that, his target market will see him for the expert and want to hire him rather than the competitors.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,589 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

I'm of the opinion that, depending on the business, its location and the level of competition, you're still going to need some link building. Just not the spammy kind.

First, you absolutely should do what Chris and Jill are suggesting, because unless you make the site useful and interesting, the only link building you'll be able to do will be the spammy kind, and you won't get any rankings or traffic that way.

Once you've got something worth promoting, start off by looking for places where the business' potential customers might be looking and see if you can get links there: local business directories, the chamber of commerce, stuff like that. That way, you'll have a shot and getting the amount of attention you're going to need for people to find the great content that's going to convince them to link to you without the need to ask them.

#5 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Forget about link building as that is just spam.

33ufssj.gif

Jill!

And you have the audacity to say that I come out with stupid comments.

I know your one of the best seo's in the world but this your just gonna have to explain to me.

Assume I'm an idiot,... :dntknw:

Edited by SelfMade, 13 January 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,729 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Assume I'm an idiot,...

We do that anyway :) Well until it's proven beyond all doubt at least. :D

But link building [for rankings] is 'spam', some guy, not a million miles away from this forum wrote an article on The Classification of Search Engine Spam a few years ago which is still the best reference,

Basically SE spam is anything the SEs do not want, and links garnered to boost ranking is one of those things.

#7 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

Well here look.

If you don't sp@m.

I can GUARANTEE you that your competitors are.

It's how an empty blog with nothing but a default 2012 WP theme with no content got to EXACT number ONE for "Make Money Online".

The backlinks on that site was the equivalent of a field of pigs. Spam.

Edited by SelfMade, 14 January 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#8 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,589 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Actually, I get a blog at #4 for that search, and it's far from empty. Before that, I've got a video, a page from ABC News, and then about.com.

But that's hardly the point. We're trying to tell you that efforts to pull the wool over the search engines' eyes may work for a time, but there's a strong chance they'll end up hurting you. Look at all the articles and posts from people who lost everything because they bought site-wide links and got hit by Penguin.

Not everyone who spams gets caught. Not everyone who commits a crime ends up in prison. But that's the chance you take, and Google is constantly looking for ways to algorithmically catch more spammers. It's up to you whether or not you want to take that chance. All we're doing is telling you there are more responsible, long-term ways of looking at things that won't cause you to spend half of your day looking over your shoulder to see if you're about to get caught.

• Jill likes this

#9 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Actually, I get a blog at #4 for that search, and it's far from empty. Before that, I've got a video, a page from ABC News, and then about.com.

All we're doing is telling you there are more responsible, long-term ways of looking at things that won't cause you to spend half of your day looking over your shoulder to see if you're about to get caught.

This was last year qwerty, he got there and was there for about a month. Rooted number ONE exactly in the organic results.

Two things, he either got slapped into the next world or he has now developed the site.

Point is, he got there for a term that virtually every man and has dog has tried and failed tyo rank for with an empty blog.

Second part of what you said.

That is true.

I'm almost paranoid right now.

I know I'm going to get slapped, but please G not yet. lol.

Edited by SelfMade, 14 January 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,729 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

he got there and was there for about a month. Rooted number ONE exactly in the organic results.

No surprises there then!!

Two things, he either got slapped into the next world or he has now developed the site.

Neither, it had it's "15 minutes of fame". Now it has to EARN the right to be shown to Google users.

Point is, he got there for a term that virtually every man and has dog has tried and failed tyo rank for with an empty blog.

No news there then! EVERY newly discovered URL does that when you search like a "rank checker"

#11 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

I asked a question here, where is it?

I would like to know the answer?...

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,886 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

It was probably off topic and removed. Please try to keep your questions related to each topic. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!