• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Should Topic Silos Guide Internal Linking Strategy?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kflatla

kflatla

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

Hi everyone -

I've recently switched careers and have spent the last couple of months building my new website and developing content (copywriting/blogging/sharing/etc).

Regarding internal linking:

What I've been doing is simply using the WordPress tool that suggests related posts and pages. i.e. the pop up screen when you select anchor text and click the link button. From there, I just select the post or page that makes the most sense, sometimes it's another blog post and sometimes it's a page offering my services or some educational content about how to use my services (e.g. there's a Q&A page I feel is key content on my site that I like to direct traffic to if I can).

I really haven't given much thought to how I'm linking within each "silo" or topic/category. Rather, I'm just thinking about how to guide my reader in the most effective manner ;)

Should I be more "strategic" about my internal linking? Or is that a bunch of nonsense in the "post-Panda" era? OR worse, can I hurt my rankings by linking this way?

Trying to get back up to speed on what's what in the SEO world! (Hi Jill!)

Thanks in advance,
kf

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,795 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:58 AM

I really haven't given much thought to how I'm linking within each "silo" or topic/category.

That's the best way.

Not thinking about means you are more likely to come up with the most obvious and usually the simplest and "natural" solution.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

It depends. If all you're doing is related posts, you may not be having a clear and logical structure where all your posts can easily be found and indexed.

To me, it's usually important to have some sort of categorical structure (within some form of global navigation) with each category having its own landing page with a sentence or two describing the types of posts within that category.

#4 kflatla

kflatla

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

Thanks both.

I have tweaked my blog structure a bit since yesterday, so now the categories are a bit more intuitive. i.e. I renamed the categories and also removed the "category base" from my WP permalink structure. So now the different types of links look like this:

mywebsite.com
mywebsite.com/some-page
mywebsite.com/blog
mywebsite.com/yellow-category
mywebsite.com/yellow-category/some-post
etc etc

And within each blog post I might link once or twice to other pages or posts within the site but I haven't really been thinking about "topic silos" at all. That was what I was a bit worried about. So within one blog post, for example, I might link to a Page and also to another blog post, either within that category (silo) or not.

Good tip regarding the logical categories though. I hadn't created category landing pages/meta yet so I took care of that today.

Karri
  • Jill likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!