• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Have I Hurt My Own Website With This 'wrong' Seo?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Corinna

Corinna

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

On 28th of Oct my website was completely sunk and I have virtually zero visitors from google. I checked the position of my keywords with the firefox rankchecker tool and they all, without exception, had completely lost their ranking, which they had for at least a year before.

I think I have an idea why I was sunk. I am writing a column for a very big website and my articles get very high page ranks, get copied by other websites and they all give me high page rank, high quality back links. My website should do better and better and not get sunk...

I think my fault was that I was publishing my own articles on my own website AFTER I had them placed on the big website. Obviously, google must be thinking that I scrape these articles from this big website and have had no new unique content for almost a year.

My plan is that from now on I first put the article on my website, then, a week later, once google has crawled my site and noticed the article, I will submit it to the big website with a backlink to the original article - as google advices in webmaster guidelines.

Another question I have is this: a friend advised me to delete all the articles that I have placed over the years on article sites as she said that one of the recent google updates - I think penguin - will make you drop your rankings if you have articles on article site. What is your take on this?

Feel free to comment. But please don't tell me how stupid I am because I am telling this myself already

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

You may want to only provide unique articles (that you're not also posting to your site) until your own site has built up its own authority and PageRank.

As long as those other sites are considered more important than yours, they'll likely be the ones to show for the relevant keywords.

Something else to try which might help is that you should get into Google's Authorship program ASAP and make sure to properly code your pages with rel=author. That might help. Use your own rel=author link in your byline when you publish at other sites as well.

#3 Corinna

Corinna

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Hi Jill
thanks for the reply - I will try the thing with the rel=author.

My own website has a page rank 3 and the other website for which I write the column has a page rank 6. Once my articles are posted for a little while they all get page 3, 4 or sometimes even 5.

What's the best strategy for google to 'like' my website better and rank it higher: not posting the articles or posting them BEFORE I post them on the big website. Is one week earlier enough? It's enough time to crawl my site, so it knows who the author is. But I will try your tip of making it even clearer who the author is.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

No it's what I said in my previous post.

#5 jon-d

jon-d

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Can you get the articles on the big website to link to the content on your site? This may fix the issue if Google thinks you have dupe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!