• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Common Wordpress Mistakes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JoshFoster

JoshFoster

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

High Rankings released an article this past May in which Jill stated, "Not a week goes by when I don't see a website where somehow the "noindex, nofollow" meta tags have been inadvertently added to every page (or even just some pages) of the site. Most of the time, it's due to a WordPress setting that goes unnoticed when the website is first being designed."

As a rookie in the process of learning how to make WordPress themes and websites, I'm interested in knowing which particular setting is being referenced so I don't make the same mistake.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate the help.

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,596 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

The one I know of right offhand is under Settings --> Privacy. You can set it to ask the search engines to not index your site, which some people do while they're developing the site and forget to switch back.

There may also be other settings specific to the framework or theme you're using, so it pays to check everything before you go live, and do a "view source" on several pages after the site is launched, just to make sure. :)

--Torka :propeller:

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

That's usually the one, I believe. Although I saw one site yesterday that wasn't using "noindex" but had every single link on the site set to "nofollow."

That was a new one for me. Apparently the website owner misunderstood and thought you were supposed to nofollow all your links (including internal ones). :fool:

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,596 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

:eek:

--Torka :propeller:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your