• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Issue With Website Starting To Losing Ranking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 athmaus

athmaus

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:56 AM

My company has a tv on pc type product that we developed and came out with in early 2007. We are always looking for way to help promote it and earlier this year a site came up for sale: my[keyword].com

This site really fit well, since it ranked on my key terms that we use to push our product, so we went ahead and purchased it. When penguin was released in April the site really didn’t suffer any negative lose in rank, but in early June/July we noticed a steady decline in clicks as well as overall traffic from google. We notice that there was not any new content on the site, we got a few scrapes and started putting on new content, following the same basis guidelines that the previous owner did. Make a new post it has a few word description and the link to the live stream. He posted this in the country section and the main section of the site. The posts are almost identical in nature, but staggered so they will not post the same tv stream on the same day. We currently are posting 5 per day on each section of the site

We also started two other sections of the site: TV Shows and Blog. The TV Shows section posts one show per post. It gives an original description of 50-75 words, an image of the show, and a link that posts to the show to watch it online. We are currently posting three new shows per day.
The Blog section makes three posts every week. There is an original post of 100-150 words that describes a tv stream, channel, or tv show. The only link in the post points back to the actual tv show, stream, or channel on the myeasytv website.

Since we started doing this in July our traffic has really increased over many keyterms. Last week we noticed a dip in traffic and we are not ranking well on my of our keyterms. Each day we are getting less and less views on each term, and if we were ranked 5th on the google we are now ranked 7th and seems to continue drop.

The only thing tht we can think of is that we do not have any original content on the posts that are being made for the country and the root pages. Does any one have any idea on what we should do? We are stopping all new posts from being made on the site. Also we are thinking about removing all the new posts on the root and country section that was made since July. Or should we leave the posts and add more content to them?

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Edited by chrishirst, 14 November 2012 - 05:08 AM.
Domain name removed (see forum rules)

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,938 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:24 AM

The posts are almost identical in nature, but staggered so they will not post the same tv stream on the same day. We currently are posting 5 per day on each section of the site

And the point of this is??????????

Don't fall for the crud of Google likes 'fresh content'/blogs/updates/etc. That is just a fallacy spread around by "rank checkers" who don't actually understand the reasons they see newly discovered URLs high in the "ranks" for a few days. You would think (hope) that they would have it figured out by now, given that it has been the case since 1998

Does any one have any idea on what we should do?

The obvious thing is to add useful content.

After all THAT IS what real users want, AND that REALLY IS what "Google wants", not some "experts" pet view of URLs/Tags/Titles/alt 'tags'sic/domain name plus any other 'important' factor/signal/theory they spew out from time to time.

#3 athmaus

athmaus

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

thank you for the reply, and we are going to change up the main posts we have made. Also we do provide a service. if you click on any of the actual links on the two sections i mention you will see that it has a live tv show stream embedded in the post. It is not just a post that has a few words and nothing else, but the end users are getting what they want on the site. Streams do go down from time to time and we do replace the streams with ones that are up.

My biggest question is right now do you think that it would do more harm to keep all the posts we made online, or take them all down?

Would it be better to keep online, get unique content written on each post and post the content when we have it. OR take all post down and repost when i have the content

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

My biggest question is right now do you think that it would do more harm to keep all the posts we made online, or take them all down?

If they're all basically the same, then yes, you should take them down. 301 redirect all of the old URLs to the one real version that you want to keep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!