• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is Google Filtering My Keywords? (Site Is 4 Months Old)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 teamkrista

teamkrista

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

I have a question in relation to google rankings. I am in competition with much bigger websites like [removed]. These sites are definitely a lot older, but what I have noticed about one in particular is that the owner has a LOT of backlinks on different article submission sites and so on. He is making about $17,000 monthly. What do you think is the most important thing for me to do in order to start getting more traffic from Google? I am posting a lot of backlinks too to some of the same sites he places them, but I am afraid Google might be filtering them because of the newness of my site. Its only 4 months old compared to other sites that are 10 or 11 years old Are there any opinions on that? Does anyone have experience with this?

Edited by torka, 31 October 2012 - 09:42 AM.
remove names of specific sites, not necessary for the question

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,625 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

Maybe this is a crazy question, but how do you know how much the owner of a competing website brings in from his site each month? :hmm:

You're probably not being filtered or penalized for those links. It takes time for links to be recognized and have an effect (whatever that effect might be). However, links from article directories and other similar places also probably don't count for as much as they used to. In other words, those article directory links likely aren't benefitting you. But they aren't helping those other sites all that much, either.

The thing is, with those sites being around for a decade or more, they've almost certainly built up a variety of links from all over the place. It's going to be hard for you with a 4-month-old site to duplicate the number and variety of links they have. And there is not one link tool out there that can show you all the links they have. Not one. So looking at their links in any given tool, you're only seeing part of the picture. And that partial picture can give you a misleading idea of what links they have and which links are working for them.

Your best bet, IMO, is to make sure your site is better than theirs -- not just equal, but distinctly better -- in terms of quality, and seek out links from high-quality sites. To help you judge: any place where you can create a link to yourself, by yourself (by adding yourself to a directory, or posting your own article, or setting up a profile about yourself, etc.), isn't the kind of place I'm talking about. Google has been targeting those "self-created links" in many of their recent updates, and I expect that trend to continue.

The other thing is this: SEO is not an overnight activity. If you're looking to build organic search traffic that isn't dependent on "tricking" the algorigthm, traffic that will last through all sorts of Google updates, you need to be thinking long-term. There are no quick fixes to gain that kind of legitimate, stable search traffic.

if you need more traffic in the short run, you should consider some sort of active marketing: advertising, public relations, outreach, etc.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:
  • daledupree likes this

#3 teamkrista

teamkrista

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

I have been considering buy an older domain name with backlinks already included. What is your take on this? Do you think it would be worth it?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

LOT of backlinks on different article submission sites

Definitely do not do this.

I have been considering buy an older domain name with backlinks already included. What is your take on this? Do you think it would be worth it?

Nor this.
  • daledupree likes this

#5 teamkrista

teamkrista

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

Hi Jill. Why do you say no on both?

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

Article submission sites are just there to create web spam, so that's no good. And if you purchase an existing domain for its backlinks, then that in and of itself is web spam.

If you don't have a site that's link worthy, you won't get links. So think about how you can create link worthy content for your existing site and then get the word out about it to your target audience through social media and other forms of marketing.

#7 daledupree

daledupree

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:43 AM

i would like to find out, how to find out "how huch a competing website owner is making" and two if a website has only been around for four months it's going to be a while before it could knock off a website that's been around for 11 years.. I have a weight loss/health website but i do not expect to be able to out rank webmd anytime soon if ever..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!