• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Will Using "*" In Front Of Names/products Increase Display Ran

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Judy Vorfeld

Judy Vorfeld

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

A friend of a friend (isn't it always?) told my author sister to use a certain coding on her website to rank higher in search engines. I admit I am in the dark here, but he's very concerned for her ranking well (as I am) and I know the minute I act like a know-it-all, I'm in trouble. The biggest clue here is that he went to a seminar, and every seminar will have unique SEO tips. Love some feedback.

He said,

When creating web sites it is important tha when people are searching for items/subjects that your product is selected it is most advantageous to have yours appear at the top or as close to the top of the list as possible.

Most people who create the web site do not know or forget about the sorting action that takes place for determining the sequence of display.

Within most computers (except certain UNIX systems ) special characters sort first in all cases and then best character to insert on titles of books, product names and sometimes author or company names is an "*".

Most systems will not delete the "*" either when doing edits.

So if you can get into or create a Web site for Jan and her books use the insert "*" as the first character in those areas.

Once went to a seminar on Web sites (cost $300) and we were told this -

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,927 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

Has nothing to do with SEO.

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,596 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

That would only work if search results were sorted in alphabetical order, and then only if nobody else knew of or used that "trick." Since the first is absolutely not true, and the second (even if it were true now) would not remain true for very long, well... :)

It's sort of like back in the old Yellow Pages days, when businesses would name themselves things like "AAAAAAAA Plumbing Repair" or whatever, hoping they'd be first in the alphabetical listings. Not sure how much good it did, and it got pretty silly after awhile with each new business adding another "A" to the beginning of their business name to try to come in first.

--Torka :propeller:

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,837 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:59 AM

The biggest clue here is that he went to a seminar, and every seminar will have unique SEO tips

Like statistics, 99.9% of "unique" SEO "tips" are either made up or a guess.

#5 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

When they PAY to go to a Seminar, they believe what they pick up there because it was "Purchased for advice"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!