• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Targeting For Local

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 whorneff310

whorneff310

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

Hi Everyone I had a quick question on determining keywords for local search and what the following data implies.

For instance lets say you are an mma gym and in the adwords tool there are only a few phrases that actually register for locally for that keyword. For instance:

mma in Passaic County - 73
mma training in nj - 320
nj mma schools - 390

But the rest of the suggested keyterms don't have any geography attatched to them but have large local (U.S wide) searches such as

mma training - 40,000
mma gyms - 4000
mma classes - 22,000

And in fact if you were to choose one of the terms from list B such as "mma training" and attatch it to the geography of list A such as "Passaic County," as in "mma training in passaic county", google would show 0 searches in the keyword tool.

What I'm trying to figure out is are you supposed to assume that in your area people are searching for "mma in passaic county" (73) but NOT "mma training in passaic county."?

Thanks for any advice.

Will

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

People often don't put their area in at all because they know that google will use their current location to find places near them.

#3 whorneff310

whorneff310

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

that actually never occured to me as I always put it in. So technically speaking the answer would be yes then right? If in the adwords tool you are getting 73 hits for mma in passaic county but nothing for "mma training in passaic county" that basically means that everyone else in your area aside from those 73 a month are typing in mma training in a general sense?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

I guess. But you need to understand that the numbers the tool shows you isn't really very accurate. Especially if you're not doing an [exact match].

#5 whorneff310

whorneff310

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

I see. Thanks for the advice Jill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,