• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is This A Good Strategy ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lazioforever

lazioforever

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

I have an ecommerce site which sells products which span across multiple categories. So i'm looking to revamp my seo strategy because what i was doing before was a big nono which included outsourcing for link building which resulted in getting spammy links, social bookmarking which resulted in more spammy links and both giving huge spikes in links which apparently google frowns upon.

1. Occasional Press Release - However i'm a little skeptical about doing this since according to Matt Cutt article marketing can be viewed as spam.
From my experience i've written unique articles which sometimes make 2nd page which isn't great but still something and i've noticed certain paid article marketing sites rank high which i won't mention.

2. Blog Commenting from NICHE RELATED sites.

3. I'm adding a blog to my site to write content regarding the products.

Would this be acceptable for SEO and a considered a good use of my time ?

I'd appreciate any help i can get. I'm not an SEO expert but i've noticed that people i've paid to optimize my site have done more damage then anything else so i decided to take things into my own hands and just do it myself.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,945 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

1: Only if you have something to announce and it is WORTH announcing.

2: Spamming

3:Writing content on the REAL site would be much better.

Would this be acceptable for SEO and a considered a good use of my time ?

No to both points.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Yep, all that you're proposing is all old-school SEO that is a poor long term strategy.

Think of it this way, any link that you can create yourself is basically not going to be something Google gives much credit to because it's not a vote for your site.

If people aren't actually linking to your site you need to figure out why. What could you provide on it that would make it more link-worthy?

#4 lazioforever

lazioforever

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Yeah i guess i have to retire my old tactics which i'll admit were old school and spammy and consisted of paying for social bookmarking and outsourcing blog commenting (non-niche related) which used to work and in some cases very well but eventually led to the demise of many of my sites. I've learned my lesson and would like to re-learn seo. I appreciate your responses so far and would be more than grateful to hear any of your suggestions.

My competitors who have less attractive sites , less content, not even great content - yet for some reason outrank me and top google and for the life of me i can't figure out what they're doing different.

Matt Cutts said article marketing is seen as spammy yet i still see article marketing sites ranking #1 for keywords with article that aren't that great so I guess a few fall through the cracks.

I understand that writing good content that is link worthy would be the best thing for your site and that's going to be a challenge because i'm not a writer or would even consider myself someone who can write well.

Should I just spend my days coming up with blog posts on my site and consider that my SEO strategy from now on ?

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

Should I just spend my days coming up with blog posts on my site and consider that my SEO strategy from now on ?

not if you can't write.

#6 lazioforever

lazioforever

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

so if I could write would that be my strategy ?

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Without looking at your site, who knows? But certainly if you have an expert opinion on what's going on in your industry and can afford to hire someone to write about it for you, it can be helpful. You'll want to also start learning about social media marketing so you can get the word out about the content once you write it.

That said, there could be a zillion things wrong with your site that once fixed might bring you more search engine traffic as well.

#8 lazioforever

lazioforever

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for your response Jill.

I'd rather gain that knowlege myself then hire someone. I might look into taking a course in copywriting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!