• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

What Should I Do About Plural Version

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jg42122

jg42122

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

I own a Keyword specific domain name recently I had the opportunity to buy the letter "S" now I am trying to figure out what to do with it.

Here's what I mean, for example lets say my domain name was wholesaler dot com, and now I own wholesalers dot com. Wholesalers as a keyword brings in ten times as many searches as wholesaler.

My site ranks #1 for the lower term wholesaler because I own the name, but for the name with the letter S added to it I am nowhere to be found.

What do you recommend I do?

I have thought about moving my content, and using 301 redirects, or should I place a page on wholesalers, and link to to wholesaler?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, BTW wholesaler, and wholesalers are just examples I do not own those names.

Thanks

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,579 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

You are aware of the recent Exact Match Domain (EMD) update from Google, right?

If your keyword domain (singular) is still ranking highly for that exact-match keyword, then it's very likely doing so because of other factors (content and links and/or lack of competition) not because of the domain name. In fact, it might be said that it's ranking well in spite of having an exact-match keyword domain name.

I hope you're not thinking that simply putting a website on the plural domain will be sufficient to get it ranking high. With the latest Google updates, it's going to take a lot more work than that. There's really no reason to start up a whole new domain. Just optimize your existing site for the plural word as well. Depending on the size of the site, you could/should be optimizing for dozens or even hundreds of keywords already anyway.

Given the additional search traffic for the plural term, it's likely to be much more competitive. IMO, you'd probably have an easier time of it by optimizing your existing site for the plural word than by starting from scratch with a new domain. At least there you have evidence that the site has something going for it other than simply an exact match keyword domain name.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:
  • Jill likes this

#3 jg42122

jg42122

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

I am aware of the update however, Google just gave me #1 for another EMD last Monday with thin content less than 10 pages.
Remember googles update was to "reduce the amount of low quality exact match domains in search results."

This does not mean they will penalize every site just because it is an EMD.

Also Google is not the only search engine, with the EMD I am referring to even with only Yahoo, and Bing traffic it would be an extra 500+ hits a day. Yahoo&Bing+EMD=#1 spot.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,670 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

This does not mean they will penalize every site just because it is an EMD.

I wouldn't be banking any future takings based on that possibility.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

The thought of wanting to change a domain name based on one keyword phrase simply boggles my mind. Hard to believe this question is even being asked in 2012.

Every site and every page has the ability to rank for hundreds of different phrases regardless of their domain name. Simply optimize your home page for both the singular AND the plural version. It's really not that difficult.
  • torka likes this

#6 Waterfall

Waterfall

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

Even though I wouldn't change to a new domain name or start a whole new website around the new domain name I'd still buy it. Just own it and sit on it so somebody else can't come in and start building something around the name. I probably wouldn't even put in a redirect. Just mothball it. I own many related domain names for just that reason.

#7 Mindaugas

Mindaugas

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:10 AM

Finding this topic relevant to my question, I post it here:

The competitor has a plural keyword domain that 301 redirects to the brand-name domain. Will it be harder for me to rank for both singular and plural keywords if I start fresh from scratch on a singular keyword domain which is way less popular than the plural version?

From what I've read on the FAQ and this topic, it seems the answer is NO, but I would prefer to get expert's opinion first.

Thanks in advance.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

Mindaugas see my response above. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,