• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Getting Rid Of Unwanted Backlinks?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kiwitraveller

Kiwitraveller

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

Using Google WMT, we have discovered there are several sites that are supposedly linking with hundreds of links to a high number of pages on our site. These are definitely not sites we ever requested a link from and we have never used any link building service.

We will certainly be trying to get these links removed, but in some cases, the urls shown for these sites do not even work eg thruhere.net! So why do these sites appear in our WMT data and how do we get rid of these supposed backlinks? Is there any way to advise Google that we did not request these backlinks and no longer wish these to remain in place? Our sites have taken a big hit in traffic recently and these low quality backlinks certainly won't be helping. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

If you didn't buy them, then you probably don't need to worry about them.

#3 Kiwitraveller

Kiwitraveller

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

Thanks Jill - makes sense. We are looking for reasons why our sites have taken such a big hit in traffic (last June & again last month) and thought these huge number of backlinks could be be one flag to Google. But it sounds like they are not likely to be the main culprit. We will have to look for other site issues!
The other interesting thing is why these links appear in WMT when the site doesnt even exist!
(by the way - I seem to have posted this in slightly the wrong forum topic - sorry - my first posting! )

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

If you didn't receive an unnatural links warning email from Google (or in your GWMT account) then you don't need to worry about that. I would look towards other things like keyword stuffing, low quality content and duplicate content.

#5 Kiwitraveller

Kiwitraveller

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

No we haven't received any warnings from Google re links. Ours are large directory sites so I guess we need to look at these other issues as you suggest. Just hard to know what may be the root of the problem. Thanks again for your advice - always appreciated and I enjoy your newsletters.

#6 slinky

slinky

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

FYI to the OP, I've received no warnings. Some of our sites were rocked during various stages in Panda / Penguin. Sometimes it happens due to algorithm changes. If you have directory sites, the word is that they will devalue good content if placed on the same domain, e.g. you have articles and a directory. Current strategy I have seen is to put the directory in a subdomain and good content on the primary domain. Whether this makes any difference is debatable but many SEO companies I have seen swear by it and show their proof of concept. Not sure what to believe, just telling you what I've seen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!