• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Help With Possible Duplicate Content And Long Urls

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eeyipes

eeyipes

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

My traffic has been dropping steadily over the past few months and I've seen a big dip on the 27th or 28th right down to practically zero.

Some issues I'm trying to correct.

1. Possible duplicate content : This is a coupon site, with many store pages. Each store has a description. I was sharing this store description with about 3 very minor coupon sites. I've noticed that googling the store description with quotes often brings up the store pages for the minor sites, but nothing for the main site. The minor sites get 0 traffic and I could just shut them down for all I care. The store page for the main site does not come up at all in many of these searches.

I've removed the descriptions from all the other sites. I'm checking each description on the main site to make sure it's unique, as some where copied from merchant approved affiliate copy. Most however I wrote myself. These are simple 2-3 line descriptions. Should I just 301 redirect the minor sites back to the main site?

2. Accidently spammy urls ... I have all the stores categorized , some of the urls run long, and I'm wondering if they are causing an EMD match penalty. For example, a shoe store might have a url like
mydomain.com/coupons/clothing/shoes-bag-accessories/shoe-store Is this killing me right now? At the time I set it up this way, I was just trying to be orderly, not thinking about spamming keywords. It's not like I'm using the word coupon 10 times in the URL.

Should I just redirect all these long urls to something super short like mydomain.com/shoe-store ?

I would be extremely grateful for any insight at all. I've been buried in a hole and want to get out.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,107 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

The minor sites get 0 traffic and I could just shut them down for all I care

Excellent choice.

Should I just 301 redirect the minor sites back to the main site?

Given the above info; Why would you bother, certainly if any of them have any redeeming qualities redirect, but other than that just kill them off.

Should I just redirect all these long urls to something super short like mydomain.com/shoe-store ?

It will look a whole lot better from a potential visitor/customer PoV.

#3 slinky

slinky

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

My traffic has been dropping steadily over the past few months and I've seen a big dip on the 27th or 28th right down to practically zero.

Some issues I'm trying to correct.

I would be extremely grateful for any insight at all. I've been buried in a hole and want to get out.

Question - does your site have any unique content of value? How much of your coupon site is duplicated on other sites? If the answers are "not much" and "very much" then there is an obvious problem that is leading to your results.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

It does sound like a duplicate content issue. This just published article on dupe content might help.

#5 eeyipes

eeyipes

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Stopping back in ..

Just wondering, how long might it take to recover from possible duplicate content? Since my last post I have...

- Taken down minor duplicate sites and let go of the domains.

- Simplified my url structure and 301 redirected all old pages to the new.

- Identified 50k junk pages in the Google index, I have tagged them noindex, noarchive and nofollow, and used the WMT url removal tool on them. They are slowly dropping out of the index at the rate 3-5k every 2 weeks. My high for pages indexed was 62k, I'm down to 46k. Ideally, I should probably be around 5-10k.

- Added new content and articles to the site

- Added reviews to my site

- Brought down the number of 404's in WMT from 25k to 0

- Lowered keyword densities to the 2-4% range and removed or rewrote any text that could look "spammy"

- Continuing use of Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter for social media 

It's been 2 long months and I'm not really getting any traction or rankings back. I'm just not sure what else to do at this point. I had sent in a reconsideration request at the end of Sept and it came back a week later as no manual actions found.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

If the things you fixed were what was causing you problems, I would have thought you'd start seeing some traction by now. It's possible that there are other things, or Google simply just doesn't consider your site worthy to show for your targeted terms.

I would suggest just keeping on making the site better and better. If you're using social media you should have some idea of how well you're doing there. Are you getting traffic from those venues? If not, your content probably isn't as good as you think it might be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!