• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Two Website With Different Tld

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Santosh

Santosh

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

I have two websites with similar products with different tld.I have several keywords that is comman in both.One site is at top in google with those keyword and one is not.Can we implement 301 redirect from one domain to another domain for those keyword ? or google will consider it spammy ?Please help me out.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,987 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

Yes you can and should 301 redirect it.
  • Santosh likes this

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

Can we implement 301 redirect from one domain to another domain for those keyword ?

A few questions... such as, why do you have two sites that target the same keywords in the first place? Do they focus on different target audiences or offer different products/services or otherwise differentiate themselves? Or are they just two similar websites that were created "for SEO purposes" or something similar? :hmm:

If there's a legitimate business reason for the two pages to exist on different sites, both targeting the same keyword, I want to make sure you understand you can't redirect a page just for that keyword in the search results. The page that is redirected goes away completely and is totally replaced by the page you redirect to, not just in the search results, not just for one keyword, but all the time, everywhere.

If you're only talking about redirecting some pages and maintaining the rest of the two sites separately, it could be confusing for your visitors to one site to suddenly be whisked away to a completely different site when they click on a link that appears to lead to another page on the first site. If they can't then easily find their way back to the site they originally landed on, you may have lost a sale. :wacko:

If there is a legitimate reason for the two sites to continue to exist -- to be clear: a legitimate reason does NOT include "for SEO purposes" or any variation thereof -- and the keyword(s) in question are relevant for both, I'd say keep the pages and stop worrying about whether one or the other shows up when YOU do a ranking search. The results you see in the rankings are not going to be the same that other people see anyway (personalization).

Optimize each site for its individual target audience: the site look and feel, the site navigation, the site content and the places you seek out links should all be customized for the target audience of that particular site. Create content to appeal to each site's audience, and seek out links from other sites that are visited frequently by your target customers (i.e. links that have at least a passing chance of sending you direct traffic as well as "link juice").

When you start getting more of your traffic from high-quality sources other than the search engines, I think you'll stop worrying so much about rankings. Mainly because you're generally so busy processing sales and counting your money that you don't have TIME to worry about rankings... :)

If, on the other hand, the two sites were created "for SEO purposes" -- because somebody somewhere along the line thought having multiple pages on multiple domains would be a way to "dominate the SERPs" or some other such nonsense :no: -- well, I totally agree with Jill. Pick whichever site is performing better, and redirect ALL the pages of the other site to the nearest corresponding page on the better-performing site. Then you can focus your attention on optimizing the one site.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

#4 Santosh

Santosh

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

Torka I am trying to explain you what i want and why i want to do this.I have two sites say abc.com and abc.co.uk and my target country is UK. Both sites have almost same products and keyword as well.abc.com is old website when our employee not aware about country specific tld so they took .com.Later on we realized for UK we should have .uk not .com so we create a new site abc.co.uk for the same products.Now my problem is we cannot update about our offers, deals due to lack of resources.so i want to run only one site that is abc.co.uk.Suppose i have a keyword 'high rankings' , this keyword is on first position on abc.com/high-rankings.html and 15 th position for abc.co.uk/high-rankings.html.I want to implement 301 redirect on abc.com/high-rankings.htm to abc.co.uk/high-rankings.htm.The reason behind this is we are lacking resources we cannot update both sites.I just want a single site abc.co.uk.Can i implement 301 redirection if this is the case? I would like to hear from torka and specially jill.I have tremendous faith in this forum whenever i dont get answer/satisfactory answer from anywhere,i used to ask here and everytime i got a satisfactory answer.please show me the way.

Thanks

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,039 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

"Rankings" are NOT something to be basing a business decision upon.

If the hosting for the .uk is simpler to maintain then redirect the .com to it or why not simply host them both on the same server???

Edited by chrishirst, 28 September 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,987 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

I would like to hear from torka and specially jill.

My previous answer stands.
  • Santosh likes this

#7 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

Agreed. Redirect the entire .com site to the .co.uk site (the one you really want to keep).

--Torka :propeller:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!