• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Seo, Siloing, Dilution And Usability

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Boballoo

Boballoo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

I am in the process of redesigning one of my websites from the ground up with SEO as the primary focus. I have one main site with several smaller sites that provide a variety of very closely related services in the same industry. Originally, I had intended to gather all of these services onto my main site, which receives thirty times as much traffic as all the other sites put together, and include them as part of the new development. However, I have been doing some research on "siloing" and I have discovered that, from an SEO standpoint, it is better to keep the services I provide on separate domains even though they are in the same industry and all very closely related. The argument goes that if I provide all of these services on one site it will dilute the "authority" (in the sense of "focus") of the site. However, many of my clients may want the services I provide on the other sites as well.

To give you a completely imaginary example, let's say I own redpaintservice.com, bluepaintservice.com, greenpaintservice.com and orangepaintservice.com. All services are closely related, i.e. they are connected and offshoots of each other in the "paint industry". Orangeservice.com has grown to become a big player in its service field and I want to incorporate all of these services on my orangeservice.com site. Is it better to keep them separate on their own specifically related domain name with the exact service they provide included in the domain name? Or is it better to take advantage of the traffic at the well established orangeservice.com domain name while taking a chance that it might lower my ranking all across the board?

Also, if I do keep them on their separate keyword related domains, can I link them from my main business of orangeservice.com? Will Google penalize me for linking my sites together? What about the clietn who want both redservice and greenservice? I don’t quite see why they would penalize me when I have never hidden the fact that these are all my sites and that they are directly connected, but others have said I should be careful about linking my own sites together. Why? What is Google’s reasoning here? Why would Google, in effect, put limits on the number and type of businesses I own?

Any and all input, scoffs, debunking or clarification are appreciated.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

Absolutely should all be one site. Anything else would be done only for search engines and therefore likely to not be a good long-term strategy.

It's easy to have one site and the search engines prefer one nice authoritative site these days anyway. No need to split your link popularity between a number of sites, plus you look more like a real expert in the field if you obviously offer ALL the services.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!