• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Combining Links

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nedlack

nedlack

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

Hi all,

I run a company who manage online shops for cricket clubs, as such we have a high level of links to different pages on the internet. My problem is i dont think they are working together. When a club puts a link on their own website they will usually link to /shop.ink?club=clubname1 (where clubname1 is the name of our club). There must be around 250 links out there which all start with domain/shop.ink?club=

I am worried that my homepage isnt getting high enough on search engines because all the links that are out there and all the visits i get are to the various shop pages and not the homepage. However i need the homepage to be high on Search Engines and that is where i would like all potential new clubs to visit.

Is there a way to get search engines to see that all the links and visits that i am getting to the shop.ink pages should bump up the homepage?

Thanks in advance for any help

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

If all the shops link to the home page that should do the trick.

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,440 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

Why not simply put a message "on screen" when a search referral lands on a shop URL?

Have it say something like:

"To have your own club shop click here" put it in a heading and make it obvious what you want the visitor to do.

There is absolutely no way of making sure that every visitor comes via the root URI of your website. Search engines are not there to do your marketing for you and send visitors where you want them, YOU have to tell people what YOU want them to do when they arrive on your URLs

Edited by chrishirst, 24 August 2012 - 08:00 AM.

#4 nedlack

nedlack

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:05 AM

chrishirst, i think you misunderstand a little (or perhaps i do!)

I do not want the people who go to the club shops to go to the homepage as they have no need to (their club is already a customer of ours so has no need to read about what we do), the people who i want to go to the homepage are the new clubs who dont know what we do. I feel i am getting a little short changed by the search engines because i have all this site traffic, but because i am not sending them to our homepage (unnecessarily) i am not getting up the rankings.

Ned

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

If you do what I said all their link pop and PageRank will pass to your home page.

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,550 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

I think Jill and Chris are actually suggesting pretty much the same thing.

The search engines have no way of knowing whether a searcher comes from a club that's already a member of your site, a new club or no club at all. They simply bring up results based on the search query. Since people from all three groups could potentially use the same search queries, there's no way to segregate and only send the new people to the home page and the existing members to the detail pages.

In other words, people are going to end up at the "less than optimal" location no matter what. You can't force the search engines to show things in their results exactly the way you want.

Your job as a webmaster is to make it as easy as possible for your visitors to figure out where they are on your site and how to get to where they need to be, no matter where they initially land.

So, make sure there's a link on every detail page that lets people from new clubs know they can click there for more information about how to sign up. Several benefits to this:
  • It gives clear directions to those who are interested in signing up on where to find the info they need.
  • If you don't already have a link back to the home page from every interior page, the news links will add some "link juice" to the home page, making it more likely to show up well in search results.
  • It will have little to no effect on those who are already members.

Plenty of upside, little to no downside.

Beyond that, do some market research and find out if there are any search queries that are more likely used by prospects versus those used by existing members. I suspect you may find there's little difference in the phrases used, but in case there are some that are fairly unique to non-members: optimize the home page for those "prospect-oriented" phrases. "De-optimize" your club pages for those phrases, while optimizing them for the alternate phrases used by existing members. This will have the effect of making it more likely the home page will show up for terms used by non-member clubs, while the club pages will be more likely to show up on searches by member clubs.

Bottom line, though, Chris is right: the search engines will show what they want to show. The best you can do is suggest and hope for the best. You have to be prepared for significant numbers of visitors to land first on some page other than your home page -- so make it as easy as possible for them to get to where you want them to be.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,440 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

I do not want the people who go to the club shops to go to the homepage as they have no need to (their club is already a customer of ours so has no need to read about what we do)

Yep, which is why I said from a search referral which means they arrived at that URL by clicking on a search engine result link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!