• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

How Much "spam" Can I Be Associated With?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

Hi I read that you can have 1% of 1000 emails as spam as "allowed"

I wonder how much is the level before your domain gets flagged?

Im coming from this question from a white hat perspective. The list that I am referring to opted in through my site to receive email but when I blast them I seem to get hated on by about 5 people out of the 700+ that I send. They seem to have forgotten that they signed up to our list.

My hunch is that you have to get considerable complaints and then action is taken? Is that correct?

Clearly there must be a degree of flexibility here - i.e. if someone wants to opt-out they "accidentally" click spam compliant or just plain forget that they signed-up.

Jill - do you get the odd spam complaint when you blast your newsletter - I'm sure you get the odd one right?

Edited by lister, 22 August 2012 - 09:11 AM.

#2 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

I read that you can have 1% of 1000 emails as spam as "allowed"

Allowed by whom?

I wonder how much is the level before your domain gets flagged?

Flagged by whom?

My hunch is that you have to get considerable complaints and then action is taken?

Action taken by whom?

I don't mean to be facetious. It's just not clear exactly who or what you are complaining about here.

I seem to get hated on by about 5 people out of the 700+ that I send. They seem to have forgotten that they signed up to our list.

Then it's up to you to remind them ("You are receiving this email because ...."). And, more importantly, give them an easy way to unsubscribe.

Mike

#3 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

OK, thanks for the reply but perhaps I wasn't clear (facetious? Never used that word).

Said another way - would you agree that sometimes, possibly, someone on your list, might accidentally label a list that they subscribed to as spam?

If the answer is yes - then - how much of that is "tolerated" by your ISP or whoever it is that blocks or blacklists IP's and domains.

Thanks

Edited by lister, 22 August 2012 - 11:38 AM.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,980 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

Jill - do you get the odd spam complaint when you blast your newsletter - I'm sure you get the odd one right?

I do. Which is why I use an email newsletter service. Mine's all double opt-in with all the back up necessary to show that the person double opted in if they report it as spam.

I would NOT use your own smtp server to send out any sort of bulk email. You could royally screw yourself from being able to send any email at all.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

There will always be false-positives in ISP spam filters. You cannot do anything about that. If you're running a Web forum or blog, however, and allowing people to sign up for notifications, you ARE sending out emails from your SMTP service. While third-party newsletter services take some of the burden away from your domain, they cannot take it all (not if you're using blog and forum software unmodified out of the box).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!