• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Understanding The Results Of "pingdom Tools - Full Page Test"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fabelmik

fabelmik

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

Hi,

I´m in the middle of optimizing the speed of my website, and in that process I came across pingdom.com, where they have a very good and easy to use tool to diagnose the speed of my site.
If anyone knows about pingdom tools I hope you can help me with my questions..

After running the benchmark on my site multiple times, and from different test-servers, I get more or less the same stats..:
URL removed

Here is a short load time analysis of my site:

Time Spent per State

Connect 95.52%

Wait 2.17%

Receive 1.86%

SSL 0.31%

DNS 0.14%

Send 0.01%

In all the test runs I have made the pattern is the same.. "Connect" takes up 90-95% of the overall loading time.
As I understand it this means that something is causing the browser to use a huge amount of time simply connecting to the server.

Does anyone know what could most likely cause an abnormal "Connect-number" like the one I´m getting?
I simply don´t know where to start looking..

Edited by chrishirst, 18 August 2012 - 09:07 AM.
Live URL

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,771 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

As I understand it this means that something is causing the browser to use a huge amount of time simply connecting to the server.

It's called network latency and knowing it as a percentage of something is TOTALLY, UTTERLY USELESS and meaningless.

Does anyone know what could most likely cause an abnormal "Connect-number" like the one I´m getting?

How do you know it is "abnormal" when it is a percentage of something?
Would you think it to be "normal" if it was 50%, 61.3336% or 72.1986567%?

The actual TIME in milliseconds (ms) will determine whether it is "normal", "average", "high", "poor" or any other superlative or diminutive you wish to apply to it.

In the vast majority of TCP connections the network latency will be the bulk of the communication, this is why I continue to say that "site speed" is purely a concept, NOT a measurement that can be "improved" UNLESS it is quantified by providing benchmarks that can be used in comparative analysis.

Edited by chrishirst, 18 August 2012 - 09:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!