• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Html 4.01 And Css2.1

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

I have been using the combination of HTML 4.01 and CSS2.1 for a long time now.

I am mindful of the false starts and abandoned new Standards in recent years such as XHTML 1.0 and XHTML 2 and so on. The classic example of Standards evolution chronology and lack of Browser compatibility is clear from CSS2.1 which still has few (if any) Browsers that are in truth fully compliant and CSS3 which has even worse cross browser compatibility.

My question is what is the downside of continuing this stable (HTML 4.01 and CSS2.1) practice and how long before browsers are likely to not render as designed.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,669 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:50 AM

My question is what is the downside of continuing this stable

There isn't one AND until HTML5 and CSS3 reach "recommended status" both HTML 4.01 and CSS 2.1 are THE W3c fully recommended versions of HTML to be using.

XHTML never was and never will be a "new version" of HTML, so HTML 4.01 strict is STILL the highest specification of the SGML family to be used for developing HTML documents.

#3 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

Thanks Chris.
My doubts were triggered by a forceful Client with more knowledge than was good for them. They were after the latest standards and future proofed coding etc. I stuck to my guns and although never doubting HTML 4.01 and CSS2.1 as the sensible choice, a small doubt lingered in the back of my mind.
In all probability, I will be retired and out to grass before the preferred option changes to something with a learning curve too steep for me to cope with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!