• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Gwmt 404 Errors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ttw

ttw

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

I am trying to clean out a number of 404 errors listed in Google Webmaster Tools.

In many cases these links reported as 404 can't be located in the xmlsitemap file as Google shows. When I click on that 404 error link, the popup indicates that the URL is listed in the xml sitemap. However when we search the sitemap file for the exact, that URL is not present.

My feeling is that we mark those links as “fixed” and wait and see what happens. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Also, on that same page in GWMTs, Google lists a “priority” beside each link but it doesn’t say what this priority means. Does anyone know>?

Thanks

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

I am trying to clean out a number of 404 errors listed in Google Webmaster Tools.

Why does it matter? Or more importantly; why do you think it matters. Webmaster Tools has so many "glitches" and erroneous "errors" it's hardly worth takning any notice of it at all.

Prority is the fairly useless value from the XML siye map value which Google have said may or may not affect the crawl scheduler.

#3 ttw

ttw

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

Why does it matter? Or more importantly; why do you think it matters. Webmaster Tools has so many "glitches" and erroneous "errors" it's hardly worth takning any notice of it at all.

Prority is the fairly useless value from the XML siye map value which Google have said may or may not affect the crawl scheduler.

It matters because the rise in 404 errors corresponds with a drop in traffic that is more than seasonal.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:56 AM

Ok so there's a bit more to the story than worrying/caring about wemaster tools.

Are the 404 response showing up in your site logs? Because THEY are the ONLY 404 responses that you should be addressing if they are showing up for what you consider is a healthy URL.

Has the drop in traffic been general and from many sources or just in Google referral traffic?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!