• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Protecting Content On Product Pages

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

I have a clients whose content I developed is now having issues with people scraping that content. I use the rel=author tag on my site and for my blogs, but wasn't sure if people used that on product pages or what would be the best way to establish our content as the original copy.

#2 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

For the purposes of take-down notices, you don't need to do anything special to "prove" the authorship of a page. It's up to the infringing site to challenge your take-down notice and issue a counter notice. Since most of the sites in question are nefarious quasi-criminals, they are unlikely to do that.

(Source: Dealing with copyright infringements of your web page or blog.)

Mike

#3 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

If you dont want something copied or stolen dont use a computer.

If you dont want something copied or stolen and put on the Internet, dont go online.

When its online that's it - public property. Yeah yeah yeah - i know - you can "sue" etc but bottom line, when its out, its out. Look at that ridiculous situation with the British press and pictures of Prince William. The media dont print it but everyones seen it.

You can use a robots.txt file but black hat bots dont give a toss about them -

Moral of the story - if its truly valuable dont put it online.

If anything, work with the scrapers - i.e. the publisher - ask them for a link back or to work together.

Remember that (id say) 80% of scrapers are bots and are NOT personal attacks on you - there are (really amazing) BH tools that do all of that -

Another thought is to make an image of the content but that is a real extreme measure......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!