• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Product Pages Ranking Low Or Being Omitted In Google

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VetoFunk

VetoFunk

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

Hey Everyone,

I have been researching on why most of our product pages on our website don't rank well....sometimes not showing up in the top 10 pages of Google. Many times I search for an exact phrase on the page, and our site is actually under the omitted results. Now our site is about 10 years old, over 10,000 fans on Facebook, we have a blog, have over 3,000,000 Youtube views and 10,000 subscribers from our videos...but I can't get these product pages to rank well. Now the big problem is we are selling products that 1000's of other sites sell.

What I Noticed:

1/ These product pages have the same manufacture descriptions as the 1000's of other sites selling them.
2/ When I feature one of these products on the homepage, the homepage ranks over the product page when searching for it.
3/ When the product is part of a custom stack/combo page, the stack/combo page ranks higher than the product page.

My Plan:

1/ Write custom descriptions starting with the most popular products.
2/ Have more people write reviews on these product (we have a reviews section for each product page) page to build up unique content.
3/ Add links to these product pages from other product pages that are related or can be combined with that product.

Does anyone else have any ideas on improving product page positioning that I have not thought of? I really want to get things moving and could use any help.

Thanks!

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,112 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

Do they get any traffic? Because the "rankings" that you see are probably not what anyone else sees.

And you missed "stop checking rankings and start checking conversions" from your plan.

#3 VetoFunk

VetoFunk

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

I think that's what I have focused too much on actually. I have focused the last year on increasing conversion rates and improving the visitor experience...which has definitely worked...problem is new traffic has stayed steady, not really increasing at all. When you look for any product we sell and you don't see us in the top 10 pages whereas new or terrible sites are ranking above us...This is where I want to focus.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

1/ Write custom descriptions starting with the most popular products.
2/ Have more people write reviews on these product (we have a reviews section for each product page) page to build up unique content.
3/ Add links to these product pages from other product pages that are related or can be combined with that product.

Sounds like a good plan!

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,112 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:24 PM

I know I am going to be vilified from some for saying this yet again, BUT do NOT rely on, or even expect traffic and conversions from search. Build your own converting traffic and let any SE conversions that you get be simply a bonus.

Build your links for the potential conversion they can send, treat them as marketing and promotion NOT "optimising". Ignore "rankings" it only tells you a partial view in any case

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

Being included in the "Omitted Results" grouping almost always means your content has been filtered as duplicate content. Hence, your decision to create original copy should help improve your situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!