• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Pop-up Surveys - good or bad?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 harpsound

harpsound

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:48 AM

Slightly off topic but I am noticing of late a lot of larger the brands are virtually spamming me with popup requests to do surveys about them in some way. I am finding this very annoying. Is this a trend others are seeing? I am not seeing the payback on this as a good data miner can elicit similar results without the aggravation. These guys have the resources.

#2 Mikl

Mikl

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

I am noticing of late a lot of larger the brands are virtually spamming me with popup requests to do surveys about them in some way. I am finding this very annoying. Is this a trend others are seeing?

I've noticed this a lot recently. The silly thing is that the survey request pops up almost as soon as you've entered the site. This is bad, partly because it happens at the time that you are most anxious to find some specific information; and partly because, if you've only just started to interact with the site, you're won't have formed an opinion of it yet, so won't be able to contribute anything useful to the survey.

(Sorry, Tinabug, this doesn't answer your question.)

Mike

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,445 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

Slightly off topic but I am noticing of late a lot of larger the brands are virtually spamming me with popup requests to do surveys about them in some way. I am finding this very annoying. Is this a trend others are seeing? I am not seeing the payback on this as a good data miner can elicit similar results without the aggravation. These guys have the resources.

I've joined the ~9% of javascript disabled users for general browsing.

#4 cfreek

cfreek

AAAHHHH!!1one1!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

I fill out their survey with all negatives (when required), and in the comments tell them to stop forcing pop-ups on people asking for surveys.

Sort of back to the original question, if it's a site that I may have purchased something from, I leave and buy elsewhere.

#5 harpsound

harpsound

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

Chris

I've joined the ~9% of javascript disabled users for general browsing.

I am sucking up the courage to go to HTML5 with CSS and PHP only - no javascript - I have about 8 sites to do over the next 2 years.
~9% is a fairly large protest...

Javascript seems to be the catchall for circumventing various countermeasures and creating popups, surveys etc.

Will these "surveys" be easier to do in the newer HTML5 environment?
No difference?
Is that why we are seeing more of them?
Or is corporate America just catching up on an already old trend?

Seems easier to monitor social media plus get out and get involved or are surveys part of the corporate group think not seen elsewhere?

I am trying to understand the context behind this behaviour.
Because on the surface it seems counter productive.

S

Edited by harpsound, 09 August 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 9

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

If I have to take the survey to view the content I click away. Otherwise I ignore the survey and read the content.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!