• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

On Page Optimization? Domino Site That Uses #parentpage

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hi- I have legacy sites that are built on Domino. As far as I can tell, its really just one big page the developer is using then employing hashes to take you to the various locations in the code but it does not look like one big page, just a normal page to the user. Here is the site: http://www.ibmidevcon.com

So its mysite.com/#about or mysite.com/#locations instead of having specific page. Its using the same title tag every time. Anyone out there familiar with Domino development and knows any workaround for on page optimization would be appreciated.

Thanks, DJKay

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

Not specially a Domino issue more a triumph of developer "kewl" over usability.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

Look at Google's text cache, they're only seeing what's on the first page.

So either have to change the set up, or just optimize that one page.

#4 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

chrishirst - sorry not a developer so I don't know the slang well. What do you mean by "more a triumph of developer "kewl" over usability."

What is "kewl"? Cool? Are you saying that its just that they did not take the time to do it the right way? Made it easy on themselves? DJKay

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

Are you saying that its just that they did not take the time to do it the right way? Made it easy on themselves? DJKay

Pretty sure that's exactly what he means.

#6 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

Jill - Great :(...oh deep breath..release slowly..I can see more *fun* with IT on the horizon with IT [not!]

The swan song I routinely hear is that the Domino box and version they use is "old" and does not allow them to do it.

I will find out what version they have installed. DJKay

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:26 AM

Really hard to fathom anyone in 2012 making a website that way! (Scary) :cold:

#8 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

Yes Jill - I know -- These are the wonderful thorny legacy platform issues I deal with routinely here. This area of the business was not my intitial priority. I have been here a while and worked through issues with other divisions.

So the version of Domino is 8.5.2. Again - not a developer so its going to take me a while to research to find out if the version we have can accommodate on page optimization. So if there is anyone else out there that knows this and can help me out. I would appreciate it. DJKay

Lotus Domino ® Server (Release 7.0.2FP2 for Windows/32)

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:20 AM

Developer "kewl" covers two things really.

One is, as you surmise, using "techy tricks" because it is easier to use a "workaround" rather than engineer a real solution. The other is using a feature or coding simply because it is "new" and "Cool!" regardless of whether it is appropriate for the document use and/or the target audience or not.

Some of these are;
The ever increasing use of stonking great, jquery "slide shows" on every page of the site that occupy the first viewport of the document (or more) and you have to scroll down every time before you can get to anything useful.

Oversize, floating "social" "share this" buttons that obscure a large part of the content.
If you REALLY have to have them, add some padding or a margin so they "float" in an empty area of the viewport.

Oversized flyout/pulldown menus that suddenly appear should your mouse point stray within a millimetre of the buttons. (see ebuyer.com for an example) and then cover a third of the page.
Have the menus sure but control them a little better please.

Most developers are of the opinion that people will be impressed with their almost magical skills in using these "features".

if the version we have can accommodate on page optimization

I never really quite get this when said about content management system. All you really need is the capability of writing content and a having a title, which every CMS should do natively.

Custom Meta keywords? Does it really matter to anyone any more?
Custom Meta description? Nice to have but not essential.
Keyword URI? In the current algo climate could become a problem as the "SEO by numbers" seems to be an increasingly "negative factor"

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

But Chris, in this case, the entire site is one page. Doesn't mean it can't be optimized, but it does provide limits.

#11 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:15 AM

Chris - Yes, the 'domino' environment has nothing to do with the question. My mistake for adding it in. Thank you for thoroughly defining 'kewl'.

Custom Meta keywords? Does it really matter to anyone any more?
Custom Meta description? Nice to have but not essential.
Keyword URI? In the current algo climate could become a problem as the "SEO by numbers" seems to be an increasingly "negative factor"

I agree.

But..its only one page and limits our opportunities to be part of all the appropriate queries that are happening out there in the engines. This is a technology conference, albeit an aging technology but still technology.

Post Script. Now...I have brought this to the attention of the director of dev & the product marketer for this product. We have had a bruising email chain going on for atleast a day or so. The developer who works on the site is on vacation. The Director of Dev ended up agreeing with me, so much he took it on himself to come up with a proto type for me to review. I have been in these battles too long now to think I have had a victory but atleast it moved the chains a little.

I always had the product marketer in my pocket. Truth is..I have to be like 'Columbo' [think about detective show protagonist] and Henry Kissenger [a diplomat] when I deal with IT. I ask the same question a bunch of different ways..sometimes, though not intentional, bring up something that has no correlation or causality in the case.

So while I never intended it, by throwing the 'domino' question into my discussion with IT actually helped [they also were wondering what it had to do with it too] because it was something they could correct me on. Once they corrected me :) they had won a point and conceeded on the main point which was its only one page.

I know most of the people on this forum do consulting and own their own businesses. I used to do but have worked on the client side now for 10 years. These are just some of the battles I fight being an enterprise/inhouse/SEO/SEM type marketer.

The reason I love this forum is because I can bounce things off of people here. So thanks a ton.

DJKay

#12 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

Been there, done that, DJKay. You're so right -- sometimes you have to arrange things so one party can "win" a "point" to build up some goodwill before you make your request. And sometimes it also doesn't hurt to ask for explanations of things you already understand, just to allow a local "expert" the chance to pontificate for a few minutes.

Good luck in getting it all sorted out, sooner rather than later. :)

--Torka :propeller:

#13 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:24 PM

Well -its on its way. The Product Marketer wants to move forward with the prototype, will have to see how it goes. Thanks a bunch. DJKay

#14 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

Post Script..The developer has been snarling at me every time he sees me. I did find out though, its a situation kind of like saying the civil war was started to end slavery [those of you who are students of history know what I mean]

Turns out the business wants to be off the platform these sites are now on..creating change and disruption in IT and for this developer who now must be forced to develop in a different platform. This happened even before this came up...so..our "one page cashed in Google" became the lighting rod for a much bigger and other IT department issues.

Oh murky, obsequious, and twisted is the world we enterprise SEO/SEMs live.

DJKay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!