• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Site Not Ranking At All In Specific Se Country Pages

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LittleOwl

LittleOwl

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:39 AM

Hi,

I have a client's site that ranks well (page 1) for their business name search & also keyword searches in Google worldwide & also if Australian pages only is selected, also good in Bing & Yahoo worldwide.

But does not appear at all in Bing/Yahoo for Australian only pages???

It is an Australian domain (.com.au)

Anyone have a clue as to why this would be happening?

Thanks.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,108 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:07 AM

A) Bing hasn't figured out that the URLs are Australian biased/based.

B )There are URLs in Bings index that appear more "useful" as "Australian" URLs for that users search query.

C) Bing and Google are different, therefore have different results.

Edited by chrishirst, 27 July 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#3 LittleOwl

LittleOwl

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

A) Bing hasn't figured out that the URLs are Australian biased/based.

B ) There are URLs in Bings index that appear more "useful" as "Australian" URLs for that users search query.

C) Bing and Google are different, therefore have different results.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

But I don't understand what A means, are you saying Bing can't identify that a .com.au domain is Australian? That's pretty basic I woudl have thought. Can you clarify?

I don't think B applies as this site offers a fairly unique service within Australia (only 3 others offer the same) & this business has been the premier one for some time. So it should at least rank page 1 in australian pages seraches as it does in worldwide searches.

C - yes I don't expect the exact same outcome between SE's but the fact Bing places this site #1 for worldwide searches & doesn't show it even for a direct domain search on their Australia only pages must mean something is wrong in Bingland?

Edited by chrishirst, 27 July 2012 - 01:51 PM.
removed smiley

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,108 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

But I don't understand what A means, are you saying Bing can't identify that a .com.au domain is Australian? That's pretty basic I woudl have thought. Can you clarify?

Nope! I don't work for Bing so I have absolutely no idea how or even IF Bing does use ccTLds for determining a country of origin.

This document says they do, your observations suggests that they don't.

I simply offered three alternatives possibilities for your situation, They may all be wildly inaccurate as the only information we have is from your observations in your post, so without details that can be investigated you get three answers based on assumption and educated guesswork

They are an OPINION, NOT facts.

#5 LittleOwl

LittleOwl

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

Nope! I don't work for Bing so I have absolutely no idea how or even IF Bing does use ccTLds for determining a country of origin.

This document says they do, your observations suggests that they don't.

I simply offered three alternatives possibilities for your situation, They may all be wildly inaccurate as the only information we have is from your observations in your post, so without details that can be investigated you get three answers based on assumption and educated guesswork

They are an OPINION, NOT facts.

Thanks for your reply, yes I do realise your are offering an opinion, I was just wanting to clarify what you meant, not if you are accurate. :)

I read that you can't add links to posts in this forum so I didn't give the site details.

I have resubmitted the site to BIng, also the sitemap & have sent Bing a ticket asking for assistance, if it gets resoved I will post the outcome.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,108 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

If the URI is pertinent and useful or necessary to the question you could post it as a "dead" link by leaving off the protocol & www parts or using [dot] as a placeholder.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

Do you have a bing webmaster tools account? That might help provide some clues.

#8 LittleOwl

LittleOwl

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

Do you have a bing webmaster tools account? That might help provide some clues.

Hi JIll,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I do have a Bing account, but nothing helpful I can see.
I have received 2 generic replies from Bing telling me basic stuff about optimise the site with keywords etc & confirming the site is NOT penalised in anyway.

I think it has been put into the too hard basket. :(

Jill, why is this site ranking mostly #1 page 1 in Google for both worldwide & Australian only pages & the same in Bing worldwide but doesn't appear at all in Bing Australian page searches when you search for the site name?

Yet is it an Australian .com.au domain?

The site is aaft dot com.au (not sure if links are Ok here, so that's why I haven't provided one earlier)

It is the premier site in Australia for alpaca fibre testing services & ranks #1 for that search term as well, yet doesn't even appear in the Bing AU pages search for that either??

I could understand it, if it was a generally poor ranking site - but it isn't .

My client wants answers & I don't have them & it appears Bing doesn't either.

Any help greatly appreciated.

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,108 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:47 AM

The site root is top result when I choose Australia as the region, and guide.html is third.

Probably just another case where "rank checking" tells you nothing useful at all,

What to tell the client?

Explain that checking "ranking" is useless and the only useful thing is what the server access logs show for visitors and the important thing is conversions.

No doubt I'll get more brickbats from certain quarters by saying that SEOs should educate the clients with regards to what is, and what is not useful information, but it is a fact. It is UP TO YOU to dispel the myths and legends regarding Search and search engines.

If you do not want them to ask the unanswerable question, then make sure they are provided with what metrics REALLY matter.

Show them things such as

http://www.searcheng...pagerank/27417/

http://webmaster-tal...google-pagerank

http://searchenginel...f-success-13258

http://fixcourse.com/seo-rankings/

#10 LittleOwl

LittleOwl

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:56 AM

Thanks Chris,

I think it's the fact that the site doesn't appear at all in Bing Au pages that concerns the client most of all & fair enough.

It concerns me that it just doesn't seem to exist in AU search at all when instigated from within Australia, yet works for you in the UK.

Nobody from Bing seems able to explain it either.

Maybe Jill will have an insight into the problem?

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

Nope sorry, I don't pay much attention to Bing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!