• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Ga - Keyword Gathering

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kris

Kris

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:37 AM

Hi all

As with many businesses who have analytics, we don't really use it anywhere near its full potential. So I have taken it upon myself to really start spending time on GA and working through different areas to help improve our rankings and figure out what problems may lie within our site and to change them.

One question I have which will really help get me started is, I have enabled GA / WMT and I now have the "Search Engine Optimisation" menu item enabled in GA. When I click "Queries" this list (as I understand it) gives me a list of keyphrases that have been submitted into Google Search and somewhere within the results for that user, my website or pages from my website have appeared.

Firstly, Is this a correct assumption?

Next question would be, how or what is the best way to filter those results so I can see which words/phrases would be best to target by maybe re-writing some of my page content and meta dat on my site? I.e. the lower hanging fruit?

For example, the very first row that is returned in my results by default is as follows:

Query = jump
Impressions = 2,500
Clicks = <10
Av. Position = 31
CTR = 0.00%

Now as I understand it, this is the best performing result because it's at the top of the list - is that right? But my CTR is 0% so surely this is not good and needs to be changed. Bizarrly my website is actually on the first page of Google results for the search term "jump" even though the average position in GA is saying 31. Not sure why....

Anyway, in a nutshell my first page of results has <10 clicks for every result and 0% CTR also.

I guess I need help and a starting point to work from so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I plan to nip out and purchase Advanced Web Metric book from Amazon to have as a handy reference so hopefully this will help me longer term.

Kind regards
Kris

Edited by Kris, 11 July 2012 - 04:39 AM.

#2 Tiggerito

Tiggerito

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

It's hard to analyse the <10 results as there is such a margin for error.

Where you show up on your own browser can be very different to where you show up for someone else. Say if they are in France and are not a frequent visitor to your website.

If your ctr is bad then check how you look in the serps. Would someone looking for jump want to visit your website based on how it is displayed.

Jump is a very general term. Most people searching that term will probably not be after what you are offering.

#3 Kris

Kris

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

Thanks Tiggerito.

So how would you go about filtering the results to obtain what might be potential ways of gaining extra traffic? is there a way in GA that we can filter for high search volume keyphrases but where my site is not exactly doing much to capture those?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!