• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Unknown Site Redirecting To Client's Homepage

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jimcol51

jimcol51

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Jill suggested I post this here.

Others may have seen something like this before but to me it is a little strange.

I have a client that I've developed a website for (the subject relates to model railroading) and just started doing some basic SEO work. The other day, I did a basic check of backlinks at Majestic SEO and found a site, shown as a referring domain, that has nothing to do with my site's subject. No major problem, but when I went to look at it, I discovered they are redirecting to my site's homepage.

Thinking back, this now explains an email I received some time back from Nike about trademark infringement (the redirecting domain has "nike" in its name). I just ignored it at the time thinking it was some sort of spam or similar.

Whois indicates this site is owned by someone in China.

Other than the trademark infringement email from Nike, what other problems can this cause me and is there any way I can block this redirect? Do I even need to block the redirect?

Thanks.

Jim

#2 haggisv

haggisv

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

If your site is penalised for something like this, then it would be a great way of taking out a competitor.... just create a spammy and overly optimised site, get Google to spider and penalise it, and when it drops of in the SERPs, redirect it to your competitor. :shades:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!