• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Coding Software

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 harpsound

harpsound

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

I am at a major flexion point where I need to recode all my sites into HTML5 over the next two years. All aspects of how I design and build websites including workflow and maintenance. This also includes software editors. This is the best time to switch.

I have used various versions of Dreamweaver over the years but have not been too impressed with the Adobe code technology upgrades. I still get good results today but in a very 1997 way.

Where I want to go next DW will not take me. I am now 100% Mac and MacRabbit's Espresso 2 does everything I want when working on a single page website. My trouble is I am working on 150 page websites. I need to see several page's worth of code at a time and I need an efficient way to manage/change templates site wide from a simple interface - something DW does very well.

Content is not the issue (I use PHP scripts) but rather site wide theme/template management. How do commercial developers handle this issue? I suspect DW is moving online as a SAAS and will drop the user software simply to stop piracy so I am not willing to bet the farm that I will continue to have access to DW from my harddrive..

Your thoughts would be appreciated because I am missing something here. Thanks

Stephen

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,960 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:03 AM

Use a CMS instead, Joomla! 2.5 is much MUCH better and far more useable than 1.5 was

#3 harpsound

harpsound

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:29 AM

Thanks Chris

I have already created a simple content management system with PHP scripts and am moving in that direction as I wish to create a low overhead site. I am moving the body around in blocks. I have looked at these CMS options and have rejected them for various reasons mostly due their complex upgrades and maintenance. Right now I have have a conceptual framework + CSS for delivering the {body} but not the {head}. I will revisit J2.5 but I feel I may trading one set of issues for another. I am looking for a head maintenance system while retaining .html . Thanks

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,960 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

Ok, in that case, why do you need to see 150 pages at the same time?

Includes should do the templating work for you all you need to do is provide a file (or database field) that is the body content and one that is the head content/data.

I use a "rough and ready" system for my "examples site", that consists of a folder with an index.php, that calls the includes, a "body.html", "head.html", a local style sheet and local javascript file that are only included if they exist in the folder. I don't need a navigation system as they are standalone URLs from the articles

Adding a new document set is simply a matter of copying a skeleton folder and renaming it (I'm working on a system to do that bit as well) then simply put whatever you need in the local files, then upload it.

Changing templates on some folders should be a matter of changing the style sheet in a CSSZenGarden.com fashion (also a planned stage of evolution )

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,960 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:51 AM

Forgot to add I've ditched my CS3 DW in favour of Arachnophilia which has a FTP client and folder management built in. It seemed such a waste of money buying DW just for the site management and syntax colouring.

AND have you looked at the CS6 subscription pricing It doesn't look like a "piracy prevention" move to me.

#6 harpsound

harpsound

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:04 AM

You got me past the mind block - thanks Chris.
I will look at the spider lover you recommended.

J2.5 is trying to squeeze me into a mold.
Nope not going to happen

I have found processwire.
Developer's dream
It gives me the management side to go along with the developer side which is probably going to be Espresso2.
It allows me to pass on some bits of the management to others - cool!!

I am hitting 61yrs and the fast little speedboat mind has been replaced with a supertanker - full of irrelevant info and slow to turn. All good fun though because I am putting together a new adventure - like the Blues Bros I am on a mission....

S
  • chrishirst likes this

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,960 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:21 AM

I'm only a couple of years behind you Steven. :oldfogey: yet stiil :shades:

Processwire looks like it could be useful, not come across that one before, so it will get a test drive.

#8 runningfast

runningfast

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

You need a CMS at all cost if you're working on sites I say (opinion) above 25-30 pages. Using PHP includes and raw HTML can get very boring very quick. Something like wordpress with yoast, people are having great success with for SEO and just a nice site overall. 

Now there are many CMS's, you name it, there is one. I wouldn't venture out of the Wordpress or Drupal world. For SEO since wordpress has a few more things, i have a gut feeling it does a better job at SEO out of the box. Of course Drupal has great ways of doing SEO as well and many people have great success. Jommla get's an honorable mention but it doesn't get the business usage like Drupal of Wordpress. I would use something that could be useful in other areas to.

I wouldn't use any of the Java CMS's, or the other PHP CMS's like Typo3 etc. 90% of people stick to either Wordpress or Drupal, the days of serious fragmentation are pretty much gone.

Best of luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!