• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Merchant Center Product Feed Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DigitalSky

DigitalSky

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

I've got a Google product feed on my site. It has zero errors according to Google and 71 out of 71 of my products are listed in Google shopping. That's good news at least!

Anyhow, in hopes of further enhancing my feed I was checking out Google Shopping. I typed in the words 'FLIR H-Series'. My product comes up third for that search term but I noticed something on other peoples listings that I was lacking...

Right underneath the title of the product some of the listings have a lighter grey 'subtitle' as I call it. See the attached screen shot that is a Google Shopping search for 'FLIR H-Series'. The first product that comes up has a grey subtitle that says 'Night Vision - 320 x 240'.

I've gone through Googles product feed specification NUMEROUS times and I see nothing in there that corresponds to this mysterious grey title that a lot of these products seem to have. I've got a ton of identifiers in my product feed but none of them seems to accomplish this.

I have Googled this plenty of times and not found one single topic on this matter, it's like I'm chasing a ghost.

If anyone knows what this is or how to accomplish it I would very much appreciate it.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,871 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:52 AM

It is called a "snippet" and a good time to point out that knowing the correct terminology helps with getting results.
That is not aimed at you, but a few "nay sayers" who like to insist that I am being pedantic and/or patronising when I try to educate people in the parlance of the world of search.

http://support.googl...&answer=1093493
  • cfreek likes this

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Looks like they're technically "rich snippets" :)

#4 DigitalSky

DigitalSky

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hmm, I had no idea that was a 'rich snippet'. I've read a lot of documentation on rich snippets and how they pertain to products. I have read numerous times that when it comes to products you do not need to implement rich snippets as long as you have a product feed. Am I wrong?

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Did you read the information at the link Chrishirst shared?

I think with anything like this you don't have to implement them, but if you want the extra info to show up, it's prudent to do so.

#6 DigitalSky

DigitalSky

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

Jill,

I did indeed read it. And yes, I agree with you, although I've heard you don't need rich snippets if you have a good product feed, I'll likely implement them anyways just so I can have the best of both worlds.

I'll work on optimizing my product feed more in hopes that that will accomplish this. Google approved all 71 of my products in the feed, but there is still room to optimize them more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!