• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Alt Tags - What To Do For Tons Of Images?

Best Answer piskie , 27 June 2012 - 01:52 AM

If the pictures are well chosen to illustrate the content of the containing page, then describing the picture itself in the Alt will be as good as it gets.
Just look at each picture in context and describe it. That should fulfil both it's Alternative roll and also give any help going for SEO. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 twistedweb

twistedweb

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

I have been lurking around several SEO/SEM forums for some time now. I understand the importance of page titles, unique page descriptions, ALT tags, etc. However, I have taken over the design of a once very non-SEO page. Over the past several months when time allowed me, I now have everything else except I am stuck on the ALT Tags.

The company lists their options (home builder) so anything from kitchen cabinets to hardware, to flooring are listed. I don't want to be repetitive on the ALT Tags by saying: "xxxx option offered at Xxxxx Homes"...I then thought about listing the model number for appliances, flooring choices, etc. Would this be my best bet?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

It should say whatever the photo is showing.

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

The main purpose of an Alt attribute (it's not a tag, by the way) is for the benefit of visitors who, for whatever reason, cannot see the picture. It's an alternative to the picture: a bit of text to tell these folk what what the picture would show if they could see it.

On that basis, I'd think a model number would be pretty useless. And ""xxxx option offered at Xxxxx Homes" doesn't give them any useful information. I would just give 'em the name of the product and leave it at that.

Mike

#4 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:52 AM   Best Answer

If the pictures are well chosen to illustrate the content of the containing page, then describing the picture itself in the Alt will be as good as it gets.
Just look at each picture in context and describe it. That should fulfil both it's Alternative roll and also give any help going for SEO.

#5 twistedweb

twistedweb

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

Thank you all for your replies.

#6 CyberMonkey

CyberMonkey

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

I have a question somewhat along this line. I have many title geometry images on my website since I started using a scheduling program.

I used to have a number one position on google then I created links in text to the scheduler and thought it may have caused my google rating to drop.
I thought possibly my position dropped because the number one word on my site turned into "people" as in booking or one person, 2 people, three people etc....instead of "location service". So I switched to title images. Now I am even lower in the rankings.

My geo images say one, two, couples, three or four indicationg number of people booking the reservation. They all link to a specific calandar scheduler for each individaul service and number of people.

I want to use alt tags like book online now "location service 1 hour for one" and " location service 1 hour for two", etc... and this now includes 14 services for one two couples three and four...basically 70 links or more with "location service" being my biggest key word. Will this appear to be keyword spamming if I do this?

I also have a page with many paypal buttons on it does this count against me in SEO?

I am working on more compelling content though I think I have more description and content than any of my competitiors to date.

#7 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

I find the alt tag ugly with mouse over - looks kinda old skool to me - just my two cents

is there any SEO to alt="" ?

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

is there any SEO to alt="" ?

Yes. For clickable images it is your anchor text.

#9 CyberMonkey

CyberMonkey

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

I did put a few alt tags and it is distracting to see the words pop up in a little box everywhere when you scroll over. With 70 out bound links to a scheduler on one page

Is this hurting my SEO?

I feel like my site is very user friendly...what could be better than booking online without having to call someone or fill out an email form with your request and wait for someone to get back to you?

But I'v see my ranking drop since this addition of title image scheduling links.

Would it be better for seo to alt tag them all and just put up with the annoying pop ups?

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Neither is better for SEO. One image link with the appropriate alt description is all you need.

#11 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,596 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

The tool tip pop up is annoying. Fortunately, AFAIK, it's only an issue with IE, as the other browsers out there behave properly -- which is to say, they pop up a tool tip for the "title" attribute, not the "alt" attribute.

A workaround I stumbled over several years ago is to put whatever should be there in the "alt" attribute and use a blank "title" attribute (i.e. title=""). This should suppress the tool tip pop up in IE without affecting anything else. The alt attribute is still there for usability and SEO, but won't pop up those annoying tool tips in IE.

HTH!

--Torka :propeller:

#12 stoneman

stoneman

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

Since this is a home builder website like you said, you first need to ask the question: what keyword group are you targeting?

Are you targeting a generalized city, keyword or (as you mentioned) are you targeting home/retail consumers looking for model numbers.  If the later, you should alt tag using the appropriate model number, and possibly even a short description along with it if it allows.

Don't try to rank each page for all of your keywords either, pick a few kwds per page and you will be on the right track.

I have been lurking around several SEO/SEM forums for some time now. I understand the importance of page titles, unique page descriptions, ALT tags, etc. However, I have taken over the design of a once very non-SEO page. Over the past several months when time allowed me, I now have everything else except I am stuck on the ALT Tags.

The company lists their options (home builder) so anything from kitchen cabinets to hardware, to flooring are listed. I don't want to be repetitive on the ALT Tags by saying: "xxxx option offered at Xxxxx Homes"...I then thought about listing the model number for appliances, flooring choices, etc. Would this be my best bet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!