• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

No Serp Past Home Page

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 soundvisionguy

soundvisionguy

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

greetings, i'm working on a site that has no serp other than home page. the home page does very well.

dub dub dub, dot s v s f dot com

however nothing past the home page is shown in serp. even if i search for a very specific, low competition, recent blog post by the post title, that page does not result. the only result i see are the social media sites where i have embedded that url.

example if i search Home Automation Tiburon-Customer Testimonial

i've checked and double checked all the usual stuff, webmaster tools, sitemap, robots, htaccess, permalinks

i consider myself pretty knowledgeable when it comes to seo. but this i'm stumped

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

Not sure what you mean, Google has 3,290 pages of the site indexed, so there's no problem in that respect.

#3 soundvisionguy

soundvisionguy

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

hi thanks for helping,
yea well that's the thing. i can often find low comp pages and posts by searching using that page or post title. with this site/url nothing past the home page will result in a serp, even though all the pages are supposedly indexed.

if you do a search for Tiburon Home Automation-Customer Testimonial, there is no reason why that page should not result. if not on page 1, then on some higher serp

do you know of any server problem that could cause this? or some misconfig of a website? i know that robots, htaccess and possibly permalinks can affect serps

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

They are indexed, so it's likely not a technical problem. More likely an SEO / back link one.

#5 soundvisionguy

soundvisionguy

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

that's what i figure but just wanted to get your thoughts. thx for your input!

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,663 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

Stop "building links" that ONLY point to the root URL and spread the "link love" around the whole of the URL collection you know as your website.

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,663 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

Oh and what does

dub dub dub, dot s v s f dot com

mean?

is it code for something?

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

It's the website.

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,663 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

Oh right, I forgot about the George "dubyah" thing (luckily)

#10 soundvisionguy

soundvisionguy

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

I created a topic that didn't go through and I thought it was due to the url/link in the post. I wanted to make sure not to get my post flag so I just used dub dub dub dot to get my point across.

i wholeheartedly agree with you about the deep links.

I was just brought in on this project/website..... I've had other sites I have worked on where deep, low comp pages were easily ranked. and these were sites that had little to know content and no backlinks to them

#11 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,663 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

I created a topic that didn't go through and I thought it was due to the url/link in the post. I wanted to make sure not to get my post flag so I just used dub dub dub dot to get my point across.

If you leave off the http & www, so it just becomes site.tld, it will not autolink the URI

I was just brought in on this project/website..... I've had other sites I have worked on where deep, low comp pages were easily ranked. and these were sites that had little to know content and no backlinks to them

That's the case with so many website especially if the navigation is "fully meshed" eg: all URLs in the site are cross-linked with each other, That way SEs are able to find multiple entry points to every URL on the site, which contrary to some popular beliefs on cross-linking, does actually "help".

Edited by chrishirst, 22 June 2012 - 06:43 AM.

#12 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

Now I'm not sure if it is a factor or not,but just looking at the Code, there are a lot of what appear to be empty links.
In the old days, these earned a site a kick up the but.
Not sure if your stuff is being misinterpreted.
Example:
<a href="h t t p://www .svsf . com/residential-home-theater-systems/" class="more"></a>
Spaces added by me, hope this posts OK with the URL pasted in.

There is also quite bit of content (including links) selectively displaying or not as the case may be.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

That's the case with so many website especially if the navigation is "fully meshed" eg: all URLs in the site are cross-linked with each other, That way SEs are able to find multiple entry points to every URL on the site, which contrary to some popular beliefs on cross-linking, does actually "help".

Im finding that to sometimes be a hindrence to SEO these days depending on the site. Often times it will take wht littlreal PageRank a home page may have and spread it too thinly throughout the site.

#14 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,663 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

Im finding that to sometimes be a hindrence to SEO these days depending on the site. Often times it will take wht littlreal PageRank a home page may have and spread it too thinly throughout the site.

True, but if the promotional link building is not limited to the one URL (the root), real PR begins to equalise over the WHOLE site, then the anchor text, AND associated value can be sent DIRECTLY to the document URL that is optimised for that phrase rather passing ALL anchor text value to one URL and hoping it filters downwards.

The net effect of that is that the reliance on "most important keywords" is significantly reduced and the "link building" automatically becomes far more "natural".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!