• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Dynamic -Vs.- Static Content

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 gregorysmith

gregorysmith

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

Hello HRF Members,

Iv'e discussed this question with some very important SEO's, including some here on this forum. The truth is, Iv'e not found an answer to pin point the question and would like to sling it out here on the forum and give everyone a chance to ponder upon it. The title of this post won't do any justice as per the question, so I'll rephrase the question below, in a bit more detail.

The question pertaining to the two (Dynamic and Static) are as follows: Let's say you have a blog on your site, and you have hundreds of unique posts (articles) within your blog... Let's also pretend that you have your blog on your homepage.
*Being that your blog is on your homepage and contains hundreds of unique posts, would this add value to your homepage (the page in which the blog is located on)? If so it seems as though Google would take this into consideration and provide further value to that page/site.

A static page (blog post) is already given value and considered its own page, as a blog post is indexed in the SERP as a single page. One could also perform SEO on this page (blog post) as they would any other page. Being that the value is given in this aspect, is value also placed on the page in which the blog is located?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

[Another question that I would like to ask, one that is relevant to my original question is as follows.
Depending on where the blog is positioned makes a big difference. How does it make a big difference? Well, let's look at this aspect first: Let's say that you have your blog on your homepage, when traffic arrives at your site the blog will attract them, it reduces bounce rate % and causes the user to ultimately interact on your site, becoming more and more curious. On the otherhand, if your blog was deeper into your site, many visitors whom arrive at your site could very easily not even know that you have a blog, etc...
Moreover, let's say that you are a marketer and are in the business of wanting to make money and get clients,(etc) then it would be fair to say it's best to put your blog more deeper into your site and promote your services and products from the homepage. Though if you manage an informational site and are retired or aren't in the line or business to make money, etc then having your blog on the homepage, would make a lot more since.]

In your professional opinions, could you please elaborate upon my experiences and opinions?

I hope everyone is able to understand the question. If you have any questions for me, please don't hesitate to ask. I will respond as quickly as possible. Thank you for taking the time to go over this thread.

Gregory Smith

Edited by gregorysmith, 15 June 2012 - 10:55 PM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

No idea whatsoever what you're asking. And your definitions of dynamic vs static pages don't make sense to me as I believe they're incorrect. Have you looked at posts in our dynamically generated content forum?

#3 gregorysmith

gregorysmith

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

Hello Jill,

I have made a small edit and you should be able to understand the question now.

thank you

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,099 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:30 AM

Not by much.

ALL pages/documents are "static" when they are served out to useragents.

The distinction between "dynamic" URLs and "static" URLs for search engines is that "dynamic" URLs have '?' and '&' in them, nothing more, nothing less

Also search engines REALLY do not "care" where your documents are located in the URI structure of your website or how they are delivered. Just as long as they can be accessed and indexed is all they need.

How you LINK to them is the bit that concerns search engines.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

I still don't understand.

What do you mean by "have the blog on your home page"?

#6 gregorysmith

gregorysmith

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hello,

I really don't see why you can't understand the question. Most Wordpress theme's allow you to rearrange the blog positioning to and from any page you'd like. The question refers to having a "blog" on your homepage. Let's say that you didn't have any content on your homepage, other than the obvious blog, in which had a ton of posts, within it (blog).

The question asks; Would the blog content add value to the homepage?

The second question is clear.

Thank you for your patience.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

I guess I didn't understand because I don't know why you would think it would make a difference either way. As Chris said, it's how you link to it that matters. If your site IS your blog, then obviously it should be at the root of it. If your site is something else but also has a blog, then obviously you can't make the blog be your home page as it wouldn't make sense when people were trying to find your products or services.

In rereading your question I guess it's also confusing becuase you're presuming that everyone will get to the home page first. Not sure why you would assume that as that's just not true at all.
  • gregorysmith likes this

#8 gregorysmith

gregorysmith

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

Hi,

You sure are being hard on me aren't you? Not only was I writing to ask a question, but I was writing so that others could learn from my question, which is why (Jill) I wrote it like I did. :)

Furthermore, we've still not looked at the question. If the blog was on the home page of a site, would the blog posts (blog content) affect the actual page in which the blog is located on? Does the actual blog add any sort of value to that page?

thank you

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

I will leave it for others because no matter how hard I try I still can't figure out what you're getting at.

#10 gregorysmith

gregorysmith

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

Alrighty, then please allow me to try and give you a better example. For instance, I have my blog on this page: http://www.example.net/seo-blog/

If I moved the blog to the root domain ( http://www.example.net ) would this add any value to my home page?

Furthermore, no matter what page someones blog is located on, does the blog add any actual value to the page in which it is located on?

Edited by Jill, 18 September 2012 - 01:25 PM.
Removed site as per forum rules.

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

If I moved the blog to the root domain ( http://www.example.net ) would this add any value to my home page?

If your blog content is better than what's currently on your home page, then yes. If not, then no.

#12 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

Good content on any page adds value to that page.

Poor quality content does not add value, no matter where it is.

There's nothing unique about a "home" page versus any other page of your site. Does your blog content add value to the page where it is now?

--Torka :propeller:
  • chrishirst likes this

#13 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,099 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:02 AM

What Torka said,

AND you seem to be of the opinion that your "home page" is somehow "special", YOU are the only one that thinks that, search engine do not index "pages", they index URLs and whether that URL is a root URL (home page) or some other URL to the collection of documents that you know as your "website" are on, makes no difference to search engines.

Nobody else cares about your "home" page, visitors from search want to be on the URL that has the document that is relevant to their query, this is a case where all paths should NOT lead to Home.
And you should be promoting ALL of your URLs in your link building, NOT just your "home" page.

Edited by chrishirst, 18 June 2012 - 07:03 AM.

#14 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

Furthermore, no matter what page someones blog is located on, does the blog add any actual value to the page in which it is located on?

Just because it's a blog? No. A blog is just a page or collection of pages on a website just like any other. Just because a section on your site is named BLOG or is using A blog CMS to create its framework doesn't give it any inherent special value. It's the content you put on a blog (or any page of your site) that gives value.

#15 gregorysmith

gregorysmith

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

Hi,

Thank you guys for being patient with this question. I would like to thank you guys for trying to answer it. It was partially answered.Thank You!

I am very clear of quality content adding value to a page, though my point here is;

Good content on any page adds value to that page.

Poor quality content does not add value, no matter where it is.

@Vintagebabe said that "good content on any page, adds value to that page. Thank you @vintagebabe, this partially answered my question. My concern was being that the blog (since one does have the option to move the blog to any page they'd like to) being "ADDED" to a page, "would it add value to the page, in which one added it to."

@jillwhalen [It's the content you put on a blog (or any page of your site) that gives value. ]

Well, in my case, I write 40-50 unique, and very creative articles on our blog, monthly... I have not moved the blog, and don't intend to, I was just wanting to know if that blog added value to the page in which it was located upon. I optimize every post, and many of them rank for tons of keywords, through L.S.I
In the realization that someone could rank a blog post, it just didn't make since that the blog could also add value to the page (SEO-Blog), in mention. In this case, I suppose it'd be wise to also optimize the blog posts, to match the actual page optimization ..

Thank you guys once again, for all of your help. I had a couple of clients to ask this question and it became really confusing, though I suppose it makes since, I just never looked at it like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!