• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Penguin Recovery - 2 Techniques, Need Feedback

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 seoperson1

seoperson1

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

Hi community. I'm posting here for the first time to get feedback on Penguin recovery. I've been doing SEO since 1998, and I've never lost significant rankings in a Google update until now. Here are my 2 sites that lost traffic, and what I have been doing to get their rankings back.

I would like feedback if any of you have been down this road with penguin - or panda for that matter as well (because it seems that their are some similarities in how the two updates work to filter out sites).

1. Site #1 - Has been around since 2003, and has lots of old high quality links, as well as many low quality links. Some were acquired through SEO work, and some are completely natural. We lost about 60% of traffic from Penguin.

Because this site has been around so long, and has historically ranked really well, I am taking on the time consuming task of auditing all of the links and requesting removal of the ones that look the most like SEO. We also filed a reconsideration request because we figured it couldn't hurt, and our suspicions were confirmed when Google replied that some of our backlinks did not look natural. This indicates to me that our problem may be more than just the Penguin filter - that there may be some manual penalty applied as well.

I plan to continue the daunting task of requesting link removals, and following up with Google on the reconsideration request once more have been removed. We do have some natural .edu links, and other great links that would be very hard to get again if we started all over with this website.

2. Site #2 - Is a newer site that is not as integral to my business, and this site does not have nearly as many llinks pointing to it. It is not spammy in any way, we publish high quality articles written by licensed professionals in their filed on it, it just has some low quality links pointing to it.

For Site #2, I plan on changing the domain name and starting over with a new website. Here is the process I plan on using, and this is where I really need input:
  • Parked the alternate domain on the site to let it get indexed under new domain name.
  • Get a few high quality links to the old domain changed over to point to the new domain
  • 302 redirect old domain to the new domain, once the new domain is fully indexed. Normally, I would 301 redirect when changing domains, but I know 301's pass PR, so I'm thinking 302 would be the way to block the new domain from getting credit for the low quality links? Or maybe not redirect the old site at all? This is where I need advice.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,773 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

Penguin isn't just about unnatural external links. If your internal anchor text is "spammy" that will be a factor.

And the biggest factor I've seen for both updates is keyword stuffed pages, as well as pages that are just written for the search engines.

Less is definitely more in the age of black and white creatures attacking websites.

#3 seoperson1

seoperson1

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

Thanks Jill. We're actually pretty conservative on-page. No keyword stuffing or questionable internal anchor text. Our writers don't know anything about SEO, and I prefer it that way.

I know we got a little overly aggresive in link building, and that is what is killing me.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 9

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:24 AM

You definitely need to first figure out what led to the Penguin downgrade before proposing a solution.

#5 haggisv

haggisv

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:44 AM

I'm in a similar situation as site#2 from seoperson1... a fairly new site with good quality content, and suddenly most pages are nowhere to be seen in searches.

I'm wondering if anyone has recovered from penguin, and how they did it?

Meantime I'll simply continue adding good quality content to my site, in the hope that eventually this will snap the site back into better serps.

#6 seoperson1

seoperson1

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

You definitely need to first figure out what led to the Penguin downgrade before proposing a solution.

Google specifically told me that they had a problem with my backlinks.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,773 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

302 redirect old domain to the new domain, once the new domain is fully indexed. Normally, I would 301 redirect when changing domains, but I know 301's pass PR, so I'm thinking 302 would be the way to block the new domain from getting credit for the low quality links? Or maybe not redirect the old site at all? This is where I need advice.

It's hard to say, but not redirecting it at all may be your best bet if you did stuff so bad that makes you feel you need to start over with a new domain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!