• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Using Rel="me" On Links Pointing To Social Media Pages

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wfoody

wfoody

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

I have been strugling to completly understand where a should add rel="me" and rel="author". I have setup my google+ (personal/page) account and have verified the account and that is set as a publisher and author. Now i also have other Social Media outlets that i use (ex. Facebook and Twitter) that I have links to and from. My question is should i be using rel="me" (ex. <a rel="me" href="http://facebook....>......>Facebook<a>) on all my other social media links?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:35 PM

It was my understanding (at least when Google first came out with it) that you are supposed to use rel="me" on links that point to any sort of profile of yourself. So for instance, you Twitter profile, your FB profile, your LinkedIn profile, your G+ one.

Whether or not they are still using it or using it that way, I don't know.

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

#4 wfoody

wfoody

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:04 PM

alright I understand the methods and have seen it being used on a "persons" page. Say my business is www.XYZ.com I'm linking to facebook.com/XYZ (my business page) and twitter.com/XYZ (business page aswell) with reciprocal links pointing back (even if they are nofollow on the social sites) would I use rel="me or rel="author"? Or is rel="me" and rel="author" only for a personal account?

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

I believe you only use rel=author to point to your bio page or your gplus profile page. You can (I believe) have both rel=me and rel=author on the same link.

But it's all pretty confusing. Google doesn't think like regular people! :smart:

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:23 AM

If you're hoping for authorship annotation (your picture in the SERPs) for social media accounts, don't bother. Google is not showing the pictures for social media so far as I have seen.

#7 haggisv

haggisv

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:29 AM

AFAIK To get your picture in Google results, you need the rel="author" on pages that contain your content, indicating that you are the author of the content.. The rel="me" only indicates that this page is about you personally, ie your profile.

#8 wfoody

wfoody

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

Thanks haggisv, I think you hit the nail on the head.

I found this also saying that rel="me" and rel="author" are the same thing just different formats. http://googlewebmast...web-search.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!