• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keep Original Domain Or Forward To New Domain?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ShaunCartwright

ShaunCartwright

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so first of all, just wanted to say hello. My name is Shaun Cartwright. I have been researching internet marketing and (some) SEO for a few years. Mostly site building / marketing, link building and social marketing, getting sites to rank, etc.

I have a new situation that I'm not 100% sure on.

I have a client that purchased a domain name about 2 months ago. I built the site. I am now going to start doing the SEO on the site to get it to rank.

My problem is this. He has decided that he wants to change the domain name to something different, similar, but different.

I have no problem transferring the files over to the new domain name or pointing the new domain to the files (you know what I mean). I have NOT started any SEO on the old domain name yet. I told him to go ahead and purchase the domain that he really wants to optimize, before I start the SEO / link building.

My question is, and i think I have my answer in my head, now that I think about it, I should let him keep the original domain name, and just forward it to the new domain name.

If we keep both domains up, Im going to have to significantly change / re-design one of the sites so that neither of them is penalized by Google.

I have never really dealt with this type of issue. Whats the best way to re-direct the original domain to the new one, and not have any issues with duplicate content? All files will be on the new domain, and I will start SEO on the new domain name.

Any expertise on this would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance for your time and effort.

Regards,
Shaun Cartwright

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:29 PM

Just 301 redirect the old to the new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!