• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Meta Problem, Organic Keyword And 301 Redirect Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fopa

fopa

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:52 AM

Hi,

First post, please be gentle ;).

I have come across a problem which i have not encountered before and i am a little stumped as to why the problem exists thus preventing me rectifying the problem as such.

There are a few issues, but the first one is the main concern. When using a site such as (removed) the report feeds back that i am missing various meta data for keyword usage which says that keywords that i use are not appearing within meta-title/tags/descriptions, when i consider that the keywords are apparent across the site. Could anybody please tell me what the issue could be please?

Secondly, (another tool) says that the website only has one organic keyword which is REMOVED again i am utterly mystified why this is the case. I have just under 500 pages with each page optimised as a new re-brand for the new website. Again it would be greatly appreciated if somebody could explain to me how i can rectify the problem as i cant seem to be able to find a solution to the problem.

Finally, i set up 301 redirects from the grass roots upwards to register an address change within google webmaster tools around 10/11 days ago. The change still has not gone through and whilst i understand that google deals with hundreds of thousands of such requests per week, would anybody know how long this would usually take, as i dont want to sit it out if there could be a problem which is preventing the transfers.

The old domain is REMOVED
The new domain is REMOVED

Apoligies for the long post and i will happily provide any further information as requested.

Edited by Jill, 06 June 2012 - 07:46 AM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,020 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:02 AM

I have come across a problem which i have not encountered before and i am a little stumped as to why the problem exists thus preventing me rectifying the problem as such.

There are a few issues, but the first one is the main concern. When using a site such as the report feeds back that i am missing various meta data for keyword usage which says that keywords that i use are not appearing within meta-title/tags/descriptions, when i consider that the keywords are apparent across the site. Could anybody please tell me what the issue could be please?

Secondly, says that the website only has one organic keyword which is REMOVED again i am utterly mystified why this is the case. I have just under 500 pages with each page optimised as a new re-brand for the new website. Again it would be greatly appreciated if somebody could explain to me how i can rectify the problem as i cant seem to be able to find a solution to the problem.

Such "tools" are just crap, ignore them.

Finally, i set up 301 redirects from the grass roots upwards to register an address change within google webmaster tools around 10/11 days ago. The change still has not gone through and whilst i understand that google deals with hundreds of thousands of such requests per week, would anybody know how long this would usually take, as i dont want to sit it out if there could be a problem which is preventing the transfers.

The old domain is REMOVED
The new domain is REMOVED

The redirect on the site should happen immediately, assuming it is set up correctly, Google will change over eventually.
  • fopa likes this

#3 fopa

fopa

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. Problem i have, is people are contacting the business and are telling them that they only have the one organic search term this naturally then leads to questions being asked.

Regarding 301, yes everything re-directs as expected but webmaster tools says that the request is still in progress. The changes were submitted three weeks ago.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for your reply. Problem i have, is people are contacting the business and are telling them that they only have the one organic search term this naturally then leads to questions being asked.

That doesn't even make any sense.

#5 fopa

fopa

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

Sorry Jill,
I shall re-phrase. Marketing company A contact company owner and tell him that his website could be doing much better from an organic ranking scenario, as SEO site reports that only one organic keyword is being listed for company website.

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

Does the company owner have a list of all the search terms targeted on those 500 pages of content? Can you show actual traffic and sales resulting from searches on those terms? (If not, you need to upgrade your analytics package so you can -- assuming traffic and sales from these terms exist. If they don't, you've got another problem. The site may not be as well optimized as you think.)

If the site owner knows the site has been optimized for hundreds (or even thousands) of search terms and that optimization is bearing fruit, the unsubstantiated declaration of a cold-calling marketer who's trying to drum up business for himself shouldn't carry any weight at all. Especially when the marketer is saying something so patently ridiculous as "the site only has one keyword."

--Torka :propeller:

Edited by torka, 06 June 2012 - 11:28 AM.

• fopa likes this

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

Sorry Jill,
I shall re-phrase. Marketing company A contact company owner and tell him that his website could be doing much better from an organic ranking scenario, as SEO site reports that only one organic keyword is being listed for company website.

Gotcha. So you or your client got one of those spam emails. Toss it.

Look at your analytics to see how you're doing. You may very well need to do a better job with your website marketing. Or maybe you don't. But spammers and automated tools aren't going to be the ones to tell you this.
  • fopa likes this

#8 fopa

fopa

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

Again thanks for the informative replies so far, they are really appreciated.

We attended Internet World - Earls Court, London recently and we spoke to a number of different SEO marketing companies, one of those companies who are quite reputable (so i am led to believe) were the company responsible for sending my company's owner an email. The email detailed that only one specific organic search term was being picked up by a particular evaluation site. I am also informed that said SEO rating website only queries against first two page of results so i am fairly relaxed about that report now.

I would say we currently have around 400+ pages with around 5-6 keywords per page, with the main emphasis on a site wide keyword or two which is specific to our line of business. Analytics and ad-words data is as expected and the traffic is ok as are ad-word conversions, of course higher volumes are expected in the future.

We held a very good page ranking with the legacy site, and waiting for Google to finalise our website change of address is a little frustrating at the moment for a number of reasons.

Thanks again for all the advice!

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,020 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:23 AM

Sounds like you need to spend some time educating your client with regards to what REALLY counts, (or better still get the company accountant to do so).

By the way, there are no "site wide" keywords when it comes to search, every document and the URL it resides at, are independant entities to search engines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!