• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Is Indexing The Wrong Page For My Keyword.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 photogd

photogd

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:30 AM

Ok this one baffles me. I run a wedding photography business, my website uses Wordpress.

My top keyword should be "Syracuse Wedding Photographers" (Syracuse being the city we are located in)

Ok, type that into google.My website (REMOVED) is listed as #17 and #18 for results. That's cool that it's listed twice, but it's listing the wrong pages! I It's listing some wordpress "tags" category pages. I don't want it pulling up those pages for those search terms, I want it to pull up my home page (which is no where to be found on the search results.) Is there any way to fix this? :( I know in analytics/webmaster tools I can disallow those pages from showing up on google results but I don't think it will replace it with my home page, heh. Then I won't be on the results anywhere.

What baffles me more is that the first page it lists is a keyword/tag page for "Syracuse Wedding Photographer" even though the search term had an apostophe "S" at the end. And in my site title, it's "Solas Studios - Syracuse Wedding Photographers)

My next search term should be "CNY Wedding Photographers" at #14. Ok, cool that appears to be pulling the correct page.

If anyone can help me out, that would be great! I'm a photographer, not a web designer, lol. :)

Edited by chrishirst, 31 May 2012 - 07:08 AM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,480 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

Search engines will show whatever document URL their algorithm determines as the best match for their users query, which may or may not be the "home page" OR the URL that YOU think is the "right one".

I'd suggest you have a read through the [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url] and the articles linked in threre.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

Websites have no beginning nor end and therefore each page can be a gateway to others. Why do you feel people need to see your home page first? Can you make the pages that do show up be more worthwhile? You can certainly do things to try to get your home page to rank better, but that might not be the best route.

Also, use google analytics to see for which keywords your homepage has been bringing you traffic. You may be surprised. It's doubtful position 18 is bringing you many visitors anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!