• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Basic Seo Without The Techno-Superstition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JayMcDonald

JayMcDonald

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

I watched Jill's Lynda.com videos on SEO, and they were excellent. I'm looking around for supplementary material that will help me round out my understanding, but I don't want to get lost in the weeds with all kinds of goofy superstition. Can anyone recommend a good book that breaks out some more information, but doesn't do the "snake oil" thing?

Is this any good, or no (I have no idea, not having read it, so don't laugh if it's terrible - I have just seen it come up in multiple places): amazon.com/SEO-Made-Simple-Second-Edition/dp/1460908511/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338306508&sr=8-1

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

Jay, I've never heard of that author, so that makes me suspicious. Books are typically not the way to learn SEO. However, if you're determined to read a book, your best bet would probably be Shari Thurow's book.

#3 JayMcDonald

JayMcDonald

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

Jill, I'm curious why books are not the way to go. Why do you say that? I have picked up good things from blogs (like yours), but those tend to be really scattershot in their focus, and don't provide as much overarching structure as I feel like I want. The problem is, I see lots of interesting stuff, but it's really easy to get totally lost in the weeds. I really like your timeless principles in the Lynda videos, but when I step into the world of all the particulars people are hawking (in reputable places like SearchEngineLand), I feel like I've entered another world.

Shari's book is from 2003. I know from your videos that there are core concepts that never change, but is her book that focused on the timeless principles? I think I'm really looking for middle ground between the timeless principles and solid, white-hat particulars that may change some over time, but are not the dodgy voodoo some push. I just want to know how these specific tactical items fit into the overarching strategy.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

Mainly because while the basics don't change, Google has been changing a lot and there are so many new things one has to know about. My Lynda course is still okay for the fundamentals, and so is Shari's book (she may have an updated version). But even that can only take you so far.

Reading my newsletter and some other reputable sites that keep up with latest changes is likely more helpful (or at least helpful in addtion to a book).

#5 Hichem

Hichem

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:49 AM

Many years ago I read the "SEO Book" of Aaron Wall .. But that's just basic minimal information ..
I suggest reading blogs as Jill says, and also following Matt Cutts videos on Youtube to see what's NOT :shades: important in SEO so you don't waste your time worriyng about it .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!