• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Penguin 1.1 Now Live

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,580 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

And, of course, that 25% represents ALL our search traffic, not just Google. (Although, to be honest, they do represent the largest share, we do get a fair amount of traffic from Bing/Yahoo.)

--Torka :propeller:

#17 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,876 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

Organic search traffic represents over 73% of my traffic (to highrankings.com) so I'm highly dependent upon it. But that's why I just keep making my site and what I add to it the best it can be for people and search engines. That way I never have to worry about cuddly black and white creatures taking it all away from me.

And honestly, even if that happened, most of my actual new business comes from my newsletter more than anything else, so I think I'd survive.

#18 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,580 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

Yep, that's the other thing to consider -- it's not just about traffic volume, but which traffic is the most productive. If direct links, advertising (online or offline), newsletter-inspired traffic or some other non-search sources bring most of your sales, the potential loss of keyword search traffic may not be such a concern. If, on the other hand, I ever found myself in a position where not only my site traffic, but my sales and revenue depended primarily on continued high rankings in the organic search results, I'd be terrified.

And I'd start right away -- while I still had those good rankings -- to build up other channels to take up the slack, because it's virtually inevitable that one day those good rankings will go away. With any luck, it would be a temporary glitch that the search engine would quickly fix... but I don't want to be in the position of betting my business on it.

(And, to be fair I should mention too that the company I work for is a brand, and a good chunk of our search traffic is on branded terms, which makes us a little more resistant than many sites to algorithm updates. Google et.al. may push out a lot of algorithm updates for a variety of reasons and resulting in a variety of effects, but any changes that stop bringing up the actual brand site on branded search terms wouldn't last long, I would think. But I still don't want to be in a position of relying on those search results -- even branded search results -- for the survival of the business.)

Edited by torka, 03 June 2012 - 08:43 AM.

#19 Hichem

Hichem

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

The keyword I lost ranking for is a one word highly searched keyword, and it brings a lot of traffic .. I can't replace that kind of traffic with "other sources"

I'm already doing a very good job marketing on facebook twitter and youtube .. And I don't really have the time to work more on it ..

And the nature of the business / website etc is not likelly to benefit from recurring visits / sales .. so a newsletter etc will not do me any favor ...

#20 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,702 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

I can't replace that kind of traffic with "other sources"

Why not?

#21 Hichem

Hichem

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:46 AM

250k / month exact searches keyword

Why not?

Edited by Hichem, 08 June 2012 - 06:46 AM.

#22 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,702 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

And????

Traffic doesn't ONLY come from search and if you can get your URLs in front of REAL people before they even need to use search, you get them before anyone else does.

The whole philosophy is really that simple.

Has everybody become so lazy that you are happy to rely on one traffic source because it MIGHT just send lots of it and then of course start whinging and complaining how Google is against you because it didn't happen??

#23 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,580 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

One wonders sometimes how businesses ever promoted themselves before Google (and the Internet) existed. It's a wonder the ancients ever got a business off the ground at all back in those primitive days without being listed in free organic search results online...

:whistle:

• chrishirst likes this

#24 Hichem

Hichem

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

a useless discussion .. I really miss Randy in here .....

the thread is about penguin, in a section called "search engine updates"

I can handle other sources thank you very much .. and you can't put your URL in front of everyone only because it's searched a lot .. if you know really how to run a business you wouldn't say something like that ..

a highly searched keyword doesn't mean high conversions, it doesn't even mean conversions at all .. it usually raises people awarness of the brand , and it might result in to conversions indirectly ..

If you rank number one for "travel" , it will bring you million of visitors who will know your brand (just one example of tens of benefits) .. but you don't go and place your link before everyone for "travel" keyword because you lost your rankings ;..

Now Torka, sorry but I don't see how do you even run a business online .. your last post is just childish, so I won't comment on that .. let's stay with the basics, maybe you will learn something , it's easy don't worry

if you lose ranking for a keyword, you don't just smile and go search for "other sources", simply because you are doing your best to get the traffic from these "other sources" from the begining ..

sorry English is my third language, so I can't give a good example here, but I'll try ! if you are driving a car and the roof flies off, you don't go and try to make the doors more solid ! you go fix the roof first !

Jill any thoughts ???

Edited by Hichem, 12 June 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#25 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,876 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

Sorry, Hichem, I've lost the plot of what your original question was. But besides that, it wasn't necessary to flame Torka...

Feel free to ask the actual question and I'll see if I have an answer beyond what the others have said.

#26 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:21 PM

I don't like flaming either Jill.
However as all too often happens, the core issue of a question frequently gets ignored while "you should be ......" or "Why don't you ....." pet positions get thrown at a Poster who asked a question because they wanted an answer.

Sometimes it is most unhelpful and deters the more timid new members from ever asking for help.
  • Hichem likes this

#27 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,702 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

and you can't put your URL in front of everyone only because it's searched a lot .. if you know really how to run a business you wouldn't say something like that

Sorry????

Isn't that what ADVERTISING is all about???? Getting your product in front of people.

Are you suggesting that Coca Cola are 'getting it wrong' when they place their product in front of millions during the superbowl???

Your URLs and the documents located there ARE YOUR "product", just because you think that Google MIGHT send some of those searchers your way should NOT preclude you from doing your own "lead generation" by telling people what you have and/or what you do.

If there are as many searches done as your numbers suggest, it means that people probably DO NOT KNOW where to find that particular product. It is YOUR job as a marketer to TELL THEM where to find it, not hope that Google will do that for you. Once you start doing that search engines will start helping you along the way.

What if there was no "Google" or "Yahoo!/Bing" on the Internet? What would you be doing then?

#28 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,702 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:24 AM

However as all too often happens, the core issue of a question frequently gets ignored while "you should be ......" or "Why don't you ....." pet positions get thrown at a Poster who asked a question because they wanted an answer.

Sometimes it is most unhelpful and deters the more timid new members from ever asking for help.

The thing is these are NOT "pet positions"

The meaning of the word "promote" is
  • Further the progress of (something, esp. a cause, venture, or aim); support or actively encourage.
  • Give publicity to (a product, organization, or venture) so as to increase sales or public awareness.
Some of of the synonyms are: advance - further - raise - boost

How does that NOT correspond with how search engines (Google especially) use links.

Same with the "What did we do before the Internet and search engines existed." the world still rotated, business and advertising still happened, but marketers understood the you HAD to take your product to people, not wait and hope those people come to you, because they won't, the "Field of Dreams" aspiration of "they will come" does not apply.

Would you know what the latest Hollywood "blockbuster" was going to be if the promotion and marketing machine did not kick in even before the locations were chosen?

Would you know about the latest "energy drink" "alcopop" is without "teaser" advertising?

"Real World Marketers" KNOW that the ball has to start rolling by being "pushed" before it gains speed and "Internet Marketers" should realise the same thing. Google gives a broad hint by showing newly discovered URLs high in the search results that the "ball" does need an initial push.

Edited by chrishirst, 13 June 2012 - 05:25 AM.

#29 Hichem

Hichem

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

That's exactly what is happening over and over again in this forum .. I don't like it anymore ..

I don't like flaming either Jill.

@Jill :
Sorry about flaming torka but it just got out ..
This is my second account as I lost the password and mail of the old one .. and I'm watching this forum for a long time now .. it isn't what it used to be at all ...

@chrishirst

man, I don't want to drag this discussion any further .. But just to tell you that you don't need to teach me about sales funnel and how to market a product ..

But just out of curiosity, I want to see how your mind works :)

about :

but marketers understood the you HAD to take your product to people, not wait and hope those people come to you,

Just asking .. if I'm already taking the product to people, and it happened that there are additional people coming for the product by "chance" (search engines) , and one day the people coming by "chance" disappeared ....

Is asking about how and why these people aren't coming anymore somehow, illegal ? :)

#30 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,702 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

Is asking about how and why these people aren't coming anymore somehow, illegal

There's no law against certainly. But the answer is:

There is no answer, other than that is what happens with search, you simply never know if, when, or how your search referrals will be affected by a change made by the search engines or in what people actually search for any other number of factors that are COMPLETELY outside your sphere of influence. It could be a bunch of links that were helping promote your URLs in search engines were devalued. This WHY we implore everyone NOT to be relying on search referrals for sales.

What you haven't said is whether this lost traffic was to a particular URL or spread across many URLs on your site, knowing that could give more of a clue as to the reason.

The trouble with people on ALL forums lately is that they want platitudes, or they want to hear what they think they already know. And when it is pointed out that they might just be getting it wrong, they go into a sulk because their tender ego been bruised and their sensibilities have questioned. If they are that "delicate" they should stay indoors where Mummy can wipe those ickle tears away!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!