• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Changing Domain Name

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TristaJ

TristaJ

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

I had a domain name that I started with 3 years ago. Wasn't ranking that well, even though I had tried everything. I thought maybe it was my domain name causing me issues. I changed it. Took a huge leap and it cost me because I was no where to be found. Little did I know then that hyphens were considered spammy. Now I have a domain that I think is the reason why I got pushed back to the 4th page with this last update. I'm afraid to change it because of the hit I took before. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to handle this? Being that I'm a consultant for direct sales, we have rules, one being that we can only have one external site at a time, so it will be an address change and forward.

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

It's doubtful the domain name was the reason for a rankings drop. Hyphens are not necessarily considered spammy, and in my experience the domain name doesn't carry as much weight as some people seem to think.

Do you have any other reason for changing the existing domain aside from thinking your domain caused a ranking drop?

--Torka :propeller:

#3 BusinessWebDesigns

BusinessWebDesigns

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

You are asking a really open end question, you need to know what you have done. q

Question you need to ask yourself:

What date did I lost my rankings : see if they matches any of the updates.W

What type of links did you build: From where on what sites with what anchor text. Open site explorer can help you here.

Also if you change any content on the site. etc.

And the list can easily go on.

To be honest the domain name wouldn't have done a thing. it's your links I would say to heavy in anchor text % wise.

Edited by BusinessWebDesigns, 28 May 2012 - 07:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!